View Full Version : Pocket PC AudioVox Thera 2003 Upgrade

tvos
01-24-2004, 08:56 PM
PPC Users,

I just did a upgrade to PPC 2002 for my audiovox thera phone. Is it worth while to upgrade to PPC MS 2003 or should I just leave it the way it is? What are the pro's and cons? Also, do I need to use the MS2003 phone edition or can I use the regular MS2003 OS upgrade?

Pls advise..

Tvos

Chris Spera
01-24-2004, 10:00 PM
As I recall, the Thera is a PPC Phone Edition Device. You MUST use WM2003 Phone Edition on this device or you will either totally lose phone functionality, or more likely, ruin the device.

You should wait until the the official release of WM2003 Phone Edition is made available for the Thera. Otherwise, you will void any warranty and risk ruining the device.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

tvos
01-24-2004, 10:09 PM
thanks Chris....

I wasn't sure about it and its good to get some questions about these things.. So far I'm very happy with my ppc thera audiovox.. its lived up to my expectations and never realized what i've been missing for such a long time.. glade i didn't buy a palm os.....

do you know when MS will be release their phone edition? i'm in no rush but just wondering might you have heard anything?

dave

Janak Parekh
01-24-2004, 10:14 PM
I haven't heard of any plans to release WM2003 for the Thera. :| It's an old device by modern standards, and it doesn't actually run Pocket PC Phone Edition -- it uses a variant of Pocket PC 2002 with special software by Sierra Wireless for the phone parts.

--janak

tvos
01-24-2004, 10:20 PM
Janaka,

Thanks for the info. Everytime I post something you always have something negative to say about the thera/ppc..... whats the story?

Anyways, I appreciate the follow-ups and letting me know about all this otherwise I would be totally clueless.

Again, so far I've had my device for almost 3 weeks and its cool. Deffinitely a plus to help me in the tech field and my own business I run. I see so many doors it came open..

Dave

Janak Parekh
01-24-2004, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the info. Everytime I post something you always have something negative to say about the thera/ppc..... whats the story?
I wasn't being negative in my post -- merely factual. The device came out approximately 1.5-2 years ago, so it's "old". It doesn't run Pocket PC Phone Edition. If it works for you, that's great -- I'm aware you can get some great deals on the device.

--janak

tvos
01-24-2004, 10:33 PM
Janak,

Yeah a great deal that I didn't pay nada for it!!! this was thru verizons screw up!!!! So far I'm in 7th heaven with my ppc... never had one, or a palm and so GLADE that I didn't purchase the palm....

Thanks Again.. didn't mean to sound negative in the last post.... just a observation...

DW

PPCMD
01-25-2004, 04:56 PM
Tvos I have the I700 and to date we are still waiting for VzW to provide the WMPE2003 udpate. Indications are we will see one very soon, possibly by February time frame.

The Thera was not a hot seller for VzW, from what I get told at the stores. But the I700 has done very well. For the price point the Thera is a good option for those who don't/can't spend $500-700 on a pda/phone.

The end result is I have read nothing on the pdaphonehome forum and there are a few VzW folks in the I700 forum too. So it is unlikely the Therea will get it but 2002 isn't that bad.