View Full Version : DVD to ppc w/out a ppc

arnage2
01-24-2004, 12:20 AM
If i purchased dvd to ppc and converted the wmv to mpeg or avi, how big would the file be? (assuming the wmv was about 128mb) I want to get some dvds on my clie, and dvd to ppc looks like its a good bet.

Mitchybums
01-24-2004, 07:39 AM
Recoversion of WMV ro a samesize MPG would look bad.
Look for some dvd posts in this forum, or look on www.doom9.org for generic dvd ripping guides.
You can just rip a dvd and convert it using free software.
especialy if you use wmv as an inbetwqeen step it's gonna be bad.
Re-encoding 700mb files like xvid or divx is still decent quality if reencoded to 128mb size

maikii
02-07-2004, 08:42 PM
You can really do all this stuff with free software. I recently found AutoGordianKnot (look at sites like www.doom9.org and www.dvdrhelp.com to find out more, and for links for downloading) to work good, for converting a DVD to a DIVX or XVID .AVI.

You could then either use the compressed DIVX on the PPC, or import it into Windows Movie Maker to create a .WMV. (If you do the latter, I would suggest using a very low compression level in creating the .AVi, and then let WMM do the compressing into .WMV. There's no point in compressing twice.

Your idea of compressing first into .WMV, and from that making an .AVI, I don't think is a good way to go. If you want a DIVX .AVI, there is no point in making a .WMV first.