View Full Version : New Google look...

David Prahl
01-22-2004, 11:08 PM
What do you think about the new Google look? Specifically the changed "tabs" above the search field. Several other things have changed today, too (number of sites upated, "more" added to tabs, and different fonts).

Personally I liked to old look. That might just be a habit, though.

JustinGTP
01-22-2004, 11:10 PM
It looks the same to me David!

Janak Parekh
01-22-2004, 11:19 PM
Agreed -- looks identical. David, perhaps you stumbled on a private site that was accidentally uploaded... or maybe you're just seeing things? :razzing:

--janak

David Prahl
01-22-2004, 11:28 PM
8O

Ummm...actually Google replaced the new site with the old one right away because they knew how important I am.

:oops:
You're right, now it looks like it always has. I was logged in as a different user (IE 6.0) and it looked different. Very strange - it was more than a font problem or old cached page.

Let me log off this account and view it in that other one again....

David Prahl
01-22-2004, 11:32 PM
Okay, now I'm logged in as another user. In IE 6.0
Here is what I am seeing (even after several refreshes)...
http://www.christianfamilyradio.net/mac_temp_junk/google.jpg

As you can see, something strange is going on. Looks fine in Mozilla Firebird, but this way in IE.

Jacob
01-22-2004, 11:33 PM
I see that even after hitting F5!! :?

Guess it's the chinese year of the monkey?

egads
01-22-2004, 11:35 PM
Okay, now I'm logged in as another user. In IE 6.0
Here is what I am seeing (even after several refreshes)...
http://www.christianfamilyradio.net/mac_temp_junk/google.jpg

As you can see, something strange is going on.

It's the Chinese Year of the Monkey !!!

dmacburry2003
01-22-2004, 11:35 PM
That's the Google I see.

Wierdo monkeys flying around with bananas. Who designs this site? :bangin:

Janak Parekh
01-22-2004, 11:41 PM
We're not talking about the logo; Google is famous for designing appropriate logos. See this page (http://www.google.com/holidaylogos.html) for a history of all the holiday logos they've done.

Instead, the bar above the search field is different. Strangely, David, I get the "regular" version on both IE (6) and Moz Firebird 0.7. Perhaps it's a limited rollout... or David, maybe it's some special settings while that user?

--janak

dmacburry2003
01-22-2004, 11:47 PM
OH OH OH OH!!! :!: :!: :!:

I didn't realize that... I have shaded tabs and no "More" link...

Although, this is one of their... more... strange logos :cry:

Enderet
01-22-2004, 11:49 PM
:? The google tabs I get are different than the ones on the pic that was posted on this thread. Unselected tans have a grayish background while the one selected is blue. Also there is a blue line below all the tabs... 8)

Edit: --> The blue line runs across all of them and is not a broken line like the one in the pic.

PR.
01-23-2004, 12:09 AM
Google are making over their site, they have been playing around with different designs most people don't see them as they are only on a certain server, the new look I saw had gradient colour blocks rather than the solid ones, they are still experimenting last I heard

David Prahl
01-23-2004, 12:09 AM
Right, Janak - I'm not talking about their logo, but about the font and changed tabs.

Janak Parekh
01-23-2004, 12:24 AM
:? The google tabs I get are different than the ones on the pic that was posted on this thread. Unselected tans have a grayish background while the one selected is blue. Also there is a blue line below all the tabs... 8)
Right -- that's the "current" look.

--janak