View Full Version : New CF digital camera and my Pocket PCs

ericdo
01-22-2004, 11:58 AM
Hi all

I'm off on holiday to Canada tomorow, and decided to treat myself to a new Canon 300D (Digital Rebel equivalent) with Microdrive

So I started thinking how I could utilise my Pocket PCs to do cool things.

I'm looking for software to view photos on the CF card on my old iPaq 3870 with CF Sleeve. I've had a brief look at photoMesa, but didn't find it very user friendly. Can anyone recommend software to browse the photos, bin the poor ones, and do some resizing to e-mail photos to my jealous friends :)

Also has anyone been able to publish photos to a web site from a Pocket PC?

Next cool thing I thought of doing was copying files off the CF card to the SD card to free up space. Will standard file explorer do the trick or is there something fancier e.g a drag and drop of thumbnails?

Can anyone recommend good (safe) ways to remove the Microdrive form the CF sleeve. I'm dead scared I'm going to damage it.

Anything else fancy I could do?

Thanks

Eric

popabawa
01-22-2004, 12:45 PM
Next cool thing I thought of doing was copying files off the CF card to the SD card to free up space. Will standard file explorer do the trick or is there something fancier e.g a drag and drop of thumbnails?

You can copy the files across using the standard file explorer but you might want to look at Resco File Explorer which is easier to use and much more powerful.

Regards, Iain.

rhmorrison
01-22-2004, 01:03 PM
What you need is the FREE file explorer Total Commander (http://www.ghisler.com/ce.htm). Also available for Windows PC's with even more functions.
Highly recommended!

Falstaff
01-22-2004, 11:24 PM
You might want to check out the Resco Utility Pack, which includes the File Explorer and Picture Viewer, both are user friendly and come with a lot of features.

ericdo
01-23-2004, 08:31 AM
Thanks All. - Looks like Resco Products will do all I need except publish to web pages. It shrinks files down to a good e-mail size which is really useful.

Kowalski
01-23-2004, 12:19 PM
Can anyone recommend good (safe) ways to remove the Microdrive form the CF sleeve. I'm dead scared I'm going to damage it.

expension slots have a technology called hot swapping. if you are not in the middle of a file transfer you can safely remove a card from its slot.

and for the file manager total commander is the best
give it a try since it is freeware this wont hurt you[/b]

newst
01-23-2004, 12:53 PM
I would also recommend looking into Photo Optimizer by Spb Software- http://www.softspb.com/products/palbumpo/

This is a quick way to optimize your photographs for viewing on the PDA.

I bought an early version some time ago, and have used it successfully on a series of Pocket PCs. I was pleasently surprised to discover, after buying an E-805, that the older version of the program that I had worked as well in optimizing to a 640x480 screen as it did to the 320x240 screen it was designed for.