View Full Version : CF Wifi Custom Hardcase

foebea
01-22-2004, 04:50 AM
Heyyas all . . I purchased a veo CF camera a good number of months ago, and used it for a few weeks, then went out and picked up a new compact 4mp digital camera and havent used the veo since.

Recently my 5555 bit the dust, (screeen broke :( ) so I took it back to compusa and exchanged it for a 2215. As this iPaq doesn't have wifi built in I had to get a CF card for it as well.

Since I had used the 5555 for so long, I had gotten quite used to using my 512 CF card for video, and dont think i could wean myself off of it.

Heres the issue. How can I carry around the ipaq and an additional CF card as I use them both daily?

I spotted the veo gathering dust in the corner of my room and thought it an instant success. Unfortunatley for me though, the camera curves a bit more at the top than the wifi card does, so it does not fit.

Upon closer examination I found the soft rubber casing pulls right out of the case and I set to work with a dremel and went about remolding the case. I was expecting the rubber to be a shell and waited for holes to appear, but I am happy to say it is solid in all the right places.

Now the wifi has a safe home, and it matches my 2215's rhinocase perfectly :wink:

http://mercury.walagata.com/w/foebea/wificase.jpg

JustinGTP
01-22-2004, 05:22 AM
That is a great idea - but if you do resell your Veo, you may have to buy another case :lol:

Oh and I notice that you have the Linksys WiFi card - how is that for you? How many centimetres does it stick out on top? Is this a reliable and good card?

Thanks!

-Justin.

foebea
01-22-2004, 05:54 AM
Oh and I notice that you have the Linksys WiFi card - how is that for you? How many centimetres does it stick out on top? Is this a reliable and good card?

an image tag speaks a thousand, so . . .
http://mercury.walagata.com/w/foebea/wifiin2215.jpg

The card has 1 major issue, but its only a small hurdle.. linksys does not support wm2003 yet.

yet.

if you google for 'wcf12 wm2003 ipaq' you will find somewhere a link to thier beta driver, which they have not posted in an easy to find place on thier website.

Once beta driver installed, insert card and in a second it has grabbed the local signal and works with ease. transfer speed is nice, faster that i ever got with the 5555 built in wifi, and supremely hotswappable. no need to disable before remove (as far as i know of) I have had 0 (zero) problems with it so far.

This is my second day with these items, so season to taste. (at least one grain of salt)

JustinGTP
01-22-2004, 06:26 AM
I cannot seem to find the page for the drivers - could you see if you can find it?

I really want to get a WiFi card for our new WiFi network - and we have the Linksys G WiFi and so I kind of wanted the Linksys card...

I may have to look around still :|

-Justin.

foebea
01-22-2004, 07:06 AM
Here ya go.
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/beta/SW_CD_Beta081903PPC2003.zip

straight from thier ftp.

just install this instead of what comes on the linksys cd, softreset if needed and its good to go.
(should - always backup data before installing anything, beta or not)

when i installed off the cd, the light on the CF card flashed once and never came back on, didnt halt the system, but didnt work.

after removing that and installing the beta, it came on, stayed on, and latched onto the network. it is fully integrated into 2003, no special configurator needed outside of the network tab in connections, and nothing is really needed there, it shows ssid and lets you set up wep.

ooo.. i think wep is enabled by default on this card (driver?) so be sure to go system->connections-> to get to network setup and disable wep or configure it for your network.

i think thats it :) if you have any problems, ill watch this thread tomorrow when i get to work.. well.. today i guess *yawn*

g'nite :)