View Full Version : Is this the first sign that my Sandisk card is gonna die?

sublime
01-22-2004, 01:17 AM
Twice in the past week I'd turn on my ppc and hear it tell me that my memory card is full. It's really weird, since I only use aboud 100 Mb on my 1 Gig card. When I soft reset, the reading goes back to normal.

Is this a normal thing or a sign of bad things to come?

Candygogo
01-22-2004, 04:54 AM
I have something similar with my 64mb Sandisk CF card. It started a few weeks ago: I tried to make a backup to the card, but it wouldn't go through because I didn't enough room. Fine--I just deleted the old backup. Afterwards it STILL said that I didn't have enough room! I had over 45mb left on the card, and the backup was only 32mb!

I took my card out, placed it in my card reader, and sure enough the room was there. That's why I posted (in the Software section) seeking alternative backup selections. I've found it, and so far no problems *knocking on wood*

Janak Parekh
01-22-2004, 06:50 AM
sublime - put the card into a desktop via a CF reader (assuming you have one) and run Scandisk/chkdsk on it. Sounds like you have some corruption.

--janak

sublime
01-22-2004, 04:58 PM
Sad thing is, I don't have a cf card reader. I have Anton Tomsomethingovich's Pocket Mechanic. I ran that and found no problems at all. Is that sufficient, or should I spend money for the CF card reader?

Janak Parekh
01-22-2004, 11:20 PM
Sad thing is, I don't have a cf card reader. I have Anton Tomsomethingovich's Pocket Mechanic. I ran that and found no problems at all. Is that sufficient, or should I spend money for the CF card reader?
Well, I'd suggest getting a USB CF reader anyway. You can probably find one for $10-$15 if you look closely enough...

--janak

tsb_hcy
01-23-2004, 04:07 AM
Yet another reason to never buy SanDisk products. Stick with Lexar, Panasonic, and Transcend. Sure their cards fail sometimes too, but not nearly as often as SanDisk cards from what I've seen.

Kowalski
01-23-2004, 12:25 PM
i think the worst thing about sundisk is their cards are sooo slow. so many people are experiencing stability problems. so why do people buy sandisk products? (i have one-256 SD)

PetiteFlower
01-23-2004, 09:19 PM
They are the most widely available and they are usually significantly cheaper.

I've had no problems with speed or performance of mine.

I'm not convinced that Sandisk cards are any more likely to faill then any other card, it's possible that because they have such a large portion of the market share, that most people with broken flash cards have Sandisk, simply because most people with ANY flash cards have Sandisk. Even if the cards themselves are less reliable, the problem is still exaggerated because they are just the most sold card.

bobyeo
01-27-2004, 04:32 PM
Had to buy a new CF card as mine just died.
A couple of shops I went to recomended against Sandisk as it is now made in China.

Wonder if there is any truth in it? QC problem?