View Full Version : Best Buy Not Dropping PDAs? Or not?

Jimmy Dodd
01-21-2004, 08:11 PM
I spoke to the manager at my local Best Buy today and questioned him about their lack of PDAs on display and on the rumors of Best Buy dropping them altogether. I am looking for a new PPC with built-in WiFi and all he had was a display model iPAQ 4155 (along with a handful of 2215s). He said that they were scheduled to get in a new supply of Palms at the end of February, and they wouldn't be getting in any new PPCs until June. They were trying to sell off what models they had and weren't replacing their stock until the new models were released.

It's entirely possible he didn't know what he was talking about, but I don't think he was deliberately trying to mislead me as he didn't even try to sell me the display 4155. Much was written about the whole matter a couple of weeks ago (in an off-topic thread of an unrelated topic) but then it seems the matter was dropped. Is anyone getting the same info from their Best Buy? Anything different?

Cameron_Talley
01-21-2004, 09:00 PM
I've haven't asked Best Buy personally, but every single one I have been into the last 6 months or so has about 3 rows of empty PDA holders. They usually have only 2-3 PPC in stock. Yesterday, the Best Buy I was in had several different Palm models, but only 1 PCC (an iPaq). My guess is that they weren't selling well and that Best buy is phasing them out.

hoffm11
01-21-2004, 10:10 PM
I have a 3 year service agreement with Best Buy on my 2215. Think they will honor it if I need to return it?

Godsongz
01-21-2004, 10:24 PM
ditto hoffm11's question... but I'm not too worried about it. I have a 3 year warranty on my 2 year old 3835. Hehehehe is it bad to hope it breaks in the next 12 months?

Jimmy Dodd
01-21-2004, 11:53 PM
I have a 3 year service agreement with Best Buy on my 2215. Think they will honor it if I need to return it?

I'm in the same boat - I have 1 1/2 years left on my 3 year replacement plan. That is one of the main reasons I'm interested in this whole issue.

PetiteFlower
01-22-2004, 12:01 AM
ditto hoffm11's question... but I'm not too worried about it. I have a 3 year warranty on my 2 year old 3835. Hehehehe is it bad to hope it breaks in the next 12 months?

Not bad to hope it breaks, only bad to break it on purpose :)

Thinkingmandavid
01-22-2004, 03:04 AM
Howdy!:)
I have read an email to all the best buy employees in the Wireless department, telling them they are going to be receiving new pda's in by the middle of February.
They are now focusing on entertainment so they will be getting pda's that fit this criteria.
The four models they will continue to sell are the 1945, 2215, tungsten e, and the zire 71.
It did not say what new models would be coming in.
So do not loose hope, eventually they will be getting the new models in.

DustyLBottoms
01-22-2004, 03:50 AM
I noticed the same thing, I talked to the employee at my Local Best Buy and he said that they were just waiting till they got the new PDA's in.