View Full Version : iPaq 1935 killed by static?

Kevin Remhof
01-20-2004, 07:27 PM
I'm really not loving my new iPaq 1935. After finally receiving it last night (don't ask, the shipping process was painful), it worked great. But today, I went to disconnect it from the sync/charge cable (HP supplied) and there was a static discharge. I'm not sure if it came from me or the iPaq. Either way, my iPaq is now fried! It syncs fine. But, if I use either the sync/charge cable or the charging adapter, the device dies. The screen "decays" and the bottom of the iPaq starts to heat up. It gets really hot!

OK, I'm whining, I know. But, I've never had a problem with static and my iPaq 3765. I haven't even had my 1935 24 hours and it's already dead.

Has anyone else ever had a similar problem? I remember the old Palm Vs were known to fry motherboards but that was a serial cable issue. This seems more like an issue with the iPaq itself.

Now I have to figure out what to do. I really don't want to send this back to HP since it is so new. I want a brand new unit, not a refurbished or repaired one.

Thanks for listening.

manywhere
01-20-2004, 07:45 PM
First get some ESD shoes! :wink: Sievi is one shoemaker that has got a variety of ESD classified shoes here:
http://www.sievi.com/english/amm-pk-softer.html
However, they do not seem to have a North American importer as of this writing... :|

Second, I suppose you've tried soft resetting you device without any luck? Well, have you tried hard resetting it? This will on some iPAQs disconnect the battery (not physically though) and may clear the problem that you seem to have.

Furthermore, is your computer connected to a grounded power jack/outlet? If not, connect it to one immediately. Otherwise you might also be able to fry the internal components of your computer by only touching the computer case or, get yourself a (electric)shock -- and believe me that ain't nice!

If not, call HP asap and umm... don't mention that you ESD:d on your iPaq... :mrgreen:

ucacjbs
01-20-2004, 09:54 PM
I had a power-related "screen decay" problem with my new h1945 - sadly it took a return to HP to fix things. I don't believe that it was the result of an ESD, but the symptoms were the same as those that you described.

The good news was that the whole repair process took 4 days from when I called the problem in to when I received the repaired device. They replaced almost everything except for the casing and screen, so it was pretty much a new device when I got it back (I saw you mentioned that you didn't really want a repair).

No problems since (4 months) - I did have one ESD episode that led to a hard reset but no permanent damage.