View Full Version : Panasonic DVD Recorders - Ipaq Playback

CorgiCreek
01-20-2004, 04:29 PM
There are a couple of Panasonic DVD Recorders that include an SD Card slot. At least one model - the E100H - is described as being able to write to the SD Card in MPEG4. The overview also mentions MPEG2, but its unclear how that fits in. Panasonic's descriptive materials suggest this function is to allow playback of video on Panasonic digicams.

Has anyone tried using this for viewing recorded video on an Ipaq - PPC 2003?

Is there any particular program needed for viewing these MPEG4 videos?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

dmacburry2003
01-20-2004, 04:43 PM
I have an iPaq 1935 (PPC2003, 206Mhz) and I feel that it plays mpeg's very well.

There are several programs that play mpeg's.
The first is Pocket TV, which is free and plays MPEG-1 type files (.mpeg, .mpg).
The second I believe is PictPocket Cinema, which I also believe plays MPEG-4 videos. I remember trying it a little while back and remember it to take up MUCH MUCH memory to play a video. I do know that this one costs like... 30-40 dollars at handango.
There are also a few other minor video players for Pocket PC (maybe that MVP one) that play mpeg's.

What iPaq do you have?

CorgiCreek
01-20-2004, 05:09 PM
I've got a 4150. I've used PocketTV, but don't think that works for MPEG4.

I'm looking for a quick and easy workaround for viewing videos, without going through the time and effort of encoding, reencoding on a computer. This Panasonic looks like it could work - but it depends on whether it does actually write on the SD card in a format readable on the PPC. Some places that sell these units don't even mention that it can write on the SD card.

I have been looking around at Tivos/DVRs anyway. This feature would be a major plus.