View Full Version : Syncing my laptop and desktop.

verbal
01-20-2004, 01:26 AM
I have a main desktop PC that I use when I'm home and a laptop when I'm out. I'd like to be able to easily sync the two so I have the same emails, contacts, callender, etc in outlook on both computers. I'd also like to specify some folders that I want sync'd between the two.

Anybody know of any software that allows me to do this?

dmacburry2003
01-20-2004, 01:33 AM
All I can say is to export data from one Outlook and import into the other.

verbal
01-20-2004, 01:37 AM
All I can say is to export data from one Outlook and import into the other.

It would be a pain to do that everytime I want to sync. It'd be nice to have something like activesync. Plug my laptop into the network, hit a button and it syncs.

dmacburry2003
01-20-2004, 01:42 AM
It would be a pain, but that's all I can think of. Did you try the Outlook help file for any methods?

Anthony Caruana
01-20-2004, 02:26 AM
All of your Outlook data is in a single file called, by default, outlook.pst. If you store that file centrally then you could get software that does a simple file sync.

In the "good old days" you would have writeen a DOS batchfile to compare the modification date of the files and overwrite to older copy.

jimski
01-20-2004, 05:55 AM
Take a look at www.synchpst.com. I believe this link was posted a few weeks back. I haven't tried it yet but am considering using it to sync up my laptop and tablet.

For now I just copy my pst file to my tablet and then don't bother adding or saving any e-mails (I only download copies to the tablet). Any e-mail I do send, I copy to myself. Usually I am only away with the tablet for a day or two at most so this is not that much of a bother.

I know I could copy the pst file back to the laptop upon my return to the office, but as my outlook.pst file is almost as important as that thing in my chest that goes, thump...thump...thump, I don't want to mess with it too much.