View Full Version : Pocket PC Thoughts Community: You Rock!

Jason Dunn
01-20-2004, 04:00 PM
I received this message today, and with the permission of the author, I'm posting it here for a specific reason: I'm deeply proud of the excellent community spirit that has developed in our forums, and this message is a testament to <b>YOU</b>, the community, and what an excellent job you all do at helping others. I salute you all!<br /><br />"Jason: we have never chatted although I have been a visited your web site for a number of years and have been a member since July 2002. You do not have to keep this message private, but it seemed the best way to connect with you. I just wanted to drop you a line to tell you how much I appreciate the site and the community that it encompasses. I do a great deal of travelling, both domestic and international, your site is one of the "must hit" sites whenever I am online, where ever I am in the world. I like its content, style and format. In the last week, I have come to deeply appreciate the community that surrounds it. <!><br /><br />I am not one of your power users, one of those guys who has their name on the waiting list before the ink is dry announcing a new machine. However, my dinosaur Ipaq 3800 meets my needs, keeps me organized and is just plain fun. I'll need to upgrade this year, but I suspect that I not different from a lot of guys out there who enjoy their electronic tools and use them in just that way. When my non-electronic friends notice it and ask about it, my standard line is "take my wife and kids, but DO NOT touch my Ipaq." It is a good tool and helps me do my work. <br /><br />I noted above that I have grown to really appreciate the community that surrounds Pocket PC Thoughts in the last couple of weeks. Let me tell you why...three weeks ago, I had a serious retinal reattachment surgery. You don't even want me to go into all that. Retinal detachments are supposed to happen to folks in their seventies and eighties, I'm in my 40s. Part of the recovery is being faced down for a number of weeks to assure the correct healing of the retina. You can imagine what a pain that is. <br /><br />Just last week I was allowed to be up for a couple of minutes every hour. My notebook computer was too unwieldy to use from my bed in a face down prone position, but not my Ipaq. So I've been using it. I've had trouble connecting to the net and have asked for help in the Ipaq forum. I have gotten nothing but great help along the way. Several folks have been helpful and David (dhette) has gone the fourth and fifth mile. <br /><br />While there is still something funky going on and I am not yet connected, almost, but just not there I am amazed, humbled and grateful for all the help I have received. Everyone has tried to help and been supportive. I cannot tell you how much that means when one is faced down. <br /><br />Enough. My wife will soon be up here "urging" me back to bed. I know that you are extremely busy. I just wanted to thank you for a great site and for all the wonderful contributions you and your team make. <br /><br />Best wishes, <br /><br />Kenn"<br /><br />It just so happens that Kenn wasn't a <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/subscribe.php">subscriber</a>, which means he wasn't getting the <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/subscribe/mobileforums.htm">nicely formatted mobile forum view</a>. I've given him a one-year full subscription so that he'll get a better view for interacting with his iPAQ. :mrgreen: Thanks for your message Kenn, and best wishes on your speedy recovery!

Jeff Rutledge
01-20-2004, 04:04 PM
:grouphug:

Way to go everybody! Great story. I agree 100% with the sentiments. This is a great place.

wigglesworth
01-20-2004, 04:16 PM
Ken, I wish you the best of luck and will be keeping you, your family and your Ipaq in my prayers. :)
It was nice of you to give him a free years subscription Jason, charity like that just enhances this community, and it's nice to see a site that is not just in it for the money!

Best of Luck

csterns
01-20-2004, 04:20 PM
Ain't no place like home, ain't no place like home. This has become a creature comfort and like a second home. Whenever you're away from home and want to feel connected it is a place to retreat to. Great content and great people. It's always the first and last place I go to when I need immediate help or eventually come to when I cannot find it elsewhere on my own.

My lifetime membership is a mere token of my appreciation for all that I have learned and experienced. It's an inexpensive down payment on an education to the present and future.

Thanks Pocket PC Thoughts

Air
01-20-2004, 04:34 PM
Somebody....anybody...
give that man a WiFi card for his iPAQ. :mrgreen:

csterns
01-20-2004, 04:38 PM
Ok, I'll contribute $20.00. Heck I'd do the whole thing but I think others would want to share in the experience.

Jason, why don't you set up a fund and we'll pay through PayPal to you?

rpommier
01-20-2004, 04:40 PM
I'll PayPal a couple of bucks if he needs a WiFi card...

dwildone
01-20-2004, 05:07 PM
Count me in too...where do I send my money :roll: (Did I really just say that?!?)

Techtoys
01-20-2004, 05:28 PM
That is a really great post, and I think that the spirit of the community is directly influenced by the superb person that Jason is.
Ken, I hope you have a speedy recovery, good luck and best wishes.
Andy

Mike Temporale
01-20-2004, 05:46 PM
Thanks David (dhette) for making us all look so good. :way to go: And Kenn, relax enjoy your connected ipaq, and get better soon.

:D

Air
01-20-2004, 06:29 PM
Ok, I'll contribute $20.00. Heck I'd do the whole thing but I think others would want to share in the experience.

Jason, why don't you set up a fund and we'll pay through PayPal to you?

Somebody must have a used CF sledge lying around for 3800. And I bet a lot of people doesn't mind parting with their old CF WiFi at a garage sale price. All 3800 owners are supposedly to own h4135 by now. lol.

I suppose whoever has old sledge and CF card can always post a cheap sale price to part with it. Come on it's almost spring cleaning time, you neat the rush to sell it on ebay. heh heh...

csterns
01-20-2004, 06:41 PM
Well come to think of it I do have a graveyard and a CF sleeve. I can toss that in because it's just sitting here in a drawer. Now that I look I even have a Sierra AirCard 555. Will this work?

JackTheTripper
01-20-2004, 06:49 PM
OK, we got a sleeve. That's one down and two to go. Now we need a card and someone who lives near by to drop by and help him get set up. Where does Kenn live? (City only)

Steven Cedrone
01-20-2004, 06:56 PM
Well, if he is going to use WIFI, he's going to need more than just a card and a sleeve. If the laptop he is using does not have WIFI built in, he will need another card for AD-HOC connections. Or he will need a WAP. If he doesn't have broadband, he will need that laptop or WAP set up to dial his ISP on demand as well...

Steve

Air
01-20-2004, 07:10 PM
Well, if he is going to use WIFI, he's going to need more than just a card and a sleeve. If the laptop he is using does not have WIFI built in, he will need another card for AD-HOC connections. Or he will need a WAP. If he doesn't have broadband, he will need that laptop or WAP set up to dial his ISP on demand as well...

Steve

Well, he doesn't need to have the wireless 'on' all the time right?

he still can physically access laptop to initiate connection than get back using the iPAQ in his acrobatic position. So big deal. another cheapie WiFi PC or CF card ought to work nicely.

plus there is one thing about modem, just yank out the cable and reinnitiate the connection later in case of needing for emergency disconnect. crued but it works. heh heh.

Anyway, I'll chip in $10 or shipping to whoever is selling it, sounds like a fun thing to utilize uneeded hardware.

Jason Dunn
01-20-2004, 07:33 PM
I think the idea of getting him a WiFi setup is a great one! I've contacted Kenn to ask him what sort of setup he has now, and what sort of gear we'd need to get him in order to complete the circle as it were. I'll let you know what the plan is, so don't get too deep into the planning phases, but I'm impressed by the generosity that many of you are showing - yet I'm not all that surprised. :wink: You guys rock. :way to go:

David Prahl
01-20-2004, 07:39 PM
Incredible letter, incredible thread! Just amazing to see members pull together for the "Kenn fund". :grouphug:

You can get Pocket PC news anywhere, but this is a community.

Get well soon, Kenn. Our prayers are with you.

Jeff Rutledge
01-20-2004, 07:41 PM
I've got an iPAQ PC sleeve and a spare WiFi card I don't really use. If they're needed, let me know.

JackTheTripper
01-20-2004, 08:02 PM
I've contacted Kenn to ask...

Did you also ask where he's at? If he's in the Bay Area I could help him get connected when his stuff arrives if that's needed. Or maybe someone else is in his area and could help.

karinatwork
01-20-2004, 08:28 PM
Ok, I'm fighting with the tears here... *sniffle*
You guys are so great!!!!!!!

Best of luck and speedy recovery, Kenn!

K.

Steven Cedrone
01-20-2004, 08:32 PM
Let's wait and see what Kenn's reply to Jason is before we mobilize the 'Thoughts troops... :wink: :lol:

BTW, the original thread with Kenn's plea for help was here... (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23226&highlight=surgery)

Steve

Mike Temporale
01-20-2004, 08:32 PM
I've got a D-Link PCMCIA WiFi card that I don't need any longer. If Kenn needs that to setup a adhoc Wifi netowrk, it's all his.

JackTheTripper
01-20-2004, 08:53 PM
:cry: :cry: OK, just finnished reading that thread and looks like he's connected. YEAY!!!!!!! But a great read. ;)

yawanag
01-20-2004, 09:39 PM
[quote="karinatwork"]Ok, I'm fighting with the tears here... *sniffle*
You guys are so great!!!!!!!

Best of luck and speedy recovery, Kenn!

You guys really are phenomenal! To think, that I hesitate asking a question that I think stupid. I've been helped so many times here.

You're a cut above to all the other PC sites out there! A 21 gun salute to Jason and the staff. It good to have a home.

Until you're right side up Kenn!!

Thinkingmandavid
01-20-2004, 10:14 PM
I think it is great how the community is helping Ken out :)
Count me in on helping out. I will give to the "Ken Fund" if one is developed. I have a pc wi fi card laying around if that will help out. He can have it since I am not even using it. I only used for around two months or three and that is it. It is a D-Link if I remember correctly.
And thanks to everyone on the forum for working together to help Ken out. Our prayers and my prayers go out to you and your family Ken.
David Quintana :D

ctmagnus
01-20-2004, 11:32 PM
I have a standard CF sleeve and a D-Link DCF-650W CF Card (PPC2000/2002 only) lying around if it's needed.

Zensbikeshop
01-20-2004, 11:48 PM
Nice story and he's right.

I have a Tungsten T3 at the moment but still come back here often.

I wish there was a PalmThoughts....

ale2999
01-20-2004, 11:57 PM
this thread is one that made me feel warm and fuzzy inside. The generosity of some ppl is incredible. I am proud to be part of this great community. God bless you all

JustinGTP
01-20-2004, 11:59 PM
Wow,

One of the best things I have read all month. What a great community and the people in it, just excellent. Its not really a help forum, its more like an extended family. Look at the off topic section lol :D

-Justin.

bibap
01-21-2004, 02:57 AM
I've got a D-Link DCF-650W CF WiFi card and a Compaq CF Pack with external battery I can donate.

Steven Cedrone
01-21-2004, 03:30 AM
You know what? Jason is right: you guys/gals rock!!! :rock on dude!:

Steve

Thinkingmandavid
01-21-2004, 04:27 AM
I am proud to be a permanent part of this community :!: :D
Please keep us updated on the events of ken and how the community can further help :D
I am honestly proud of everyone being so supportive of Ken and ppcthoughts.

ddavtian
01-21-2004, 06:13 AM
Many people offered expansion packs and network cards. Does this get Kenn covered? If yes then lets combine all paypal donation offers and create a special fund, for "future projects". I'm in with my 10-20 dollars.
What do you think?

David
Proud member of this community

jeasher
01-21-2004, 08:54 AM
Cool thread guys. It's so true about the members of this site. I have asked obscure questions in the forums that I never thought would get answered. Not only did people attempt to help me but they solved my problems. Also, how cool is it when the staff participates as much as they do? They contribute material and are accesible at the same time. Ahh, enough already. This thread is turning into a chick flick.

Ed Hansberry
01-21-2004, 01:50 PM
Cool thread guys. It's so true about the members of this site. I have asked obscure questions in the forums that I never thought would get answered. Not only did people attempt to help me but they solved my problems. Also, how cool is it when the staff participates as much as they do? They contribute material and are accesible at the same time. Ahh, enough already. This thread is turning into a chick flick.
:lol: Do you hear the Whitney Houston music in the background too? :wink:

Seriously, this is an awesome thread.

PhatCohiba
01-21-2004, 03:41 PM
Some obvious information:

Ken has dial-up internet access, so he'd need a auto-dailing wi-fi hub or a Cantenna (http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html) to leech off of an open access point :grinning devil:.

:dilemma:

Oh, btw, his Sig says that he is in Richmond, VA.

Jonathon Watkins
01-22-2004, 09:12 AM
:angel: I may weep openly. :angel:

I *knew* there was a reason why I hung around this place! :wink: :way to go:

Seriously, this kind of help goes on at a low level all the time around here. The community sprit really is great. Long may the mellow helpfulness continue! :hippy:

mountainguy
01-25-2004, 09:35 PM
25 January 2004
Richmond, VA

Hey Pocket PC Thoughts Community,

Just a short note to thank you all for your words of kindness and encouragement. I had dropped Jason a note earlier in the week, but wanted to also say something to all of you. Thanks so much for all of your recent acts of kindness and encouraging notes. It really is pretty humbling. You will know that I am connected and surfing and all that good stuff. Also saw my surgeon this week and he was pleased with my progress. I had suffered a retinal detachment earlier and thought that a pirate's patch would be a pretty cool way to go. However, my wife thought that surgery was the best course, so the patch is still hanging on my bathroom mirror!

I have about ten more days of recovery, but the eye is doing well and my doc hopeful. It is just nice being able to move outside the world of "Books on CDs and Tapes". Thanks so much for being a real community.

Blessings,

Kenn

Jonathon Watkins
01-25-2004, 11:26 PM
Good to hear from you Kenn and great to hear things are looking up. :way to go:

May we have the pleasure of your company when you are able to surf….. more conventionally? :grouphug:

Jason Dunn
02-06-2004, 09:46 PM
For those of you that thought I forgot, I haven't. ;-) I've been mulling a few options over, and asking Kenn some questions, and it seems that there's only one really good solution: $$$. :mrgreen:

Kenn tells me he's in the process of moving to a high-speed wireless connection, and is trying to decide between a Toshiba e805 and an iPAQ 5555 (in fact, he's looking for feedback on which one he should pick - screen quality is very important to him). He's recovering nicely from the surgery, but still has to spend quite a bit of time lying down.

So I think the best option here is for us to kick in some money to help offset the cost of bringing Kenn up to 2004 technology levels, because between the new Pocket PC, high-speed access, and wireless gateway, he's got a ways to go. :lol:

For my part, I'll be giving Ken a $100 Handango gift certificate (he's got to have software to play with after all), a $100 Vaja coupon (he's got to put his new Pocket PC in a nice case) and kicking in $20 myself for his technology fund. Who's with me? Send whatever donation amount you want (anything will help - only pay what you can afford) to paypal @ thoughtsmedia dot com. I'll gather up everything, absorb the PayPal costs, and send him the full amount within one week.

Back to you...

UPDATE: Please indicate very clearly somewhere in the PayPal message that it's for Kenn. Thanks!

Jeff Rutledge
02-06-2004, 10:08 PM
Great to hear this didn't fizzle. Count me in!

David Prahl
02-08-2004, 05:56 AM
I was wondering about this just this afternoon - fantastic to hear that the "Kenn fund" is back! It'd be neat to "sponsor a geek" every few months.

GoldKey
02-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Jason,

Does it make a difference in the fees you pay as to which transaction type we choose? I choose quasi cash and it would not let me do that because it said it violates some international restrictions?????

Jeff Rutledge
02-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Jason,

Does it make a difference in the fees you pay as to which transaction type we choose? I choose quasi cash and it would not let me do that because it said it violates some international restrictions?????

Ditto. I changed it to a service and it went through.

Jason Dunn
02-08-2004, 09:30 PM
I choose quasi cash and it would not let me do that because it said it violates some international restrictions?????

Yeah you need to pick one of the other options - the fees are the same.

Techtoys
02-13-2004, 11:40 PM
Given the exchange rate, I think I can afford to help out a bit too.

Mitch D
02-14-2004, 04:07 AM
Jason,

If your going to be at the next Calgary PPC gathering I'll slip you my donation. Saves on PayPal fees.

Jason Dunn
02-14-2004, 04:38 AM
If your going to be at the next Calgary PPC gathering I'll slip you my donation. Saves on PayPal fees.

Sure, sounds good! Thanks for your contribution.

sparkyewu
02-15-2004, 02:53 AM
I sent a bit, what i could at least. :)

0X

Jason Dunn
02-19-2004, 09:19 PM
A big thanks to everyone who donated to this worthy cause - I've sent Ken the money, and am preparing a front page post on it now. :way to go:

Rikostan
02-20-2004, 12:34 AM
All I can say is wow. Just wow.
I have noticed that the PDA sites seem to have closer communities than the gaming and regular PC sites I used to frequent, but this really takes the cake.
I actually got a tear in my eye thinking of the graciousness shown to a complete stranger.
Major kudos to all of you that donated!

madbart
02-20-2004, 12:25 PM
i have just noticed Ken plight for the 1st times this evening. What a fantastic community we have here. if more cash is required please let me know and i would be more than happy to donate :D