View Full Version : Is it possible?

dmacburry2003
01-19-2004, 01:59 AM
Do you think it is possible for Microsoft to add a patch to Windows Media Player 9 for Pocket PC that allows it to play ogg, mpeg, avi, divx, midi, etc? (not a whole new program, just a patch) Or would they have to make a whole new program? Do you think it would be possible for a user to do it?

Kevin C. Tofel
01-19-2004, 02:04 AM
More than likely these would just be codec add-ons, so technically it's possible, but I seriously doubt that Microsoft would allow that kind of format flexibility to their WMP.....

KCT

dmacburry2003
01-19-2004, 02:17 AM
It kinda stinks that they wouldn't. Every media file I have on my PC is something other than WMA/WMV, so I have to convert all of them. I have a PII 600Mhz, so it takes HOURS. I want to install 3rd-party apps to play them but the high prices got me stuck (plus there is no universal app, every program has its type). If someone at MS could just understand...

Ripper014
01-19-2004, 02:39 AM
They do understand... they want you using their software exclusively...

Badandy
01-19-2004, 03:24 AM
I don't get why people don't get this!

It is called making money and gaining market share.

Take economics.

Jacob
01-19-2004, 03:51 AM
I think people understand... but that doesn't change the fact that it sucks :P

Badandy
01-19-2004, 05:25 AM
True, very true...

If you look at the poster that posted before me, and right before ripper, that is why I said people just dont understand.

Well, that would be pretty cool though.

dmacburry2003
01-19-2004, 06:15 AM
I think I should just get one of those newfangled Portable Media Centers...

Kowalski
01-19-2004, 01:27 PM
i hate windows media player, it sucks but since it is built into my rom space i use it.
i am not sure that new formats can be used with WMP because as i know the plugin capabilities of WMP is not so good. winamp is a good example for this. you can write eighter visualition or wave plugins with ease, and the plugin support is integrated so well that user cant understand weather the feature is a plug in or built in

Jason Dunn
01-19-2004, 05:43 PM
It would require codec support, and the codec support on the Pocket PC version of WMP9 isn't very flexible - it's not technically possible to write a DiVX codec and view DiVX files in the same way you can on the desktop PC. :?

Microsoft is using the Pocket PC to push their own media formats, and I don't see this changing. It doesn't personally bother me, because I use WMA and WMV as my default audio and video file formats, but I can feel your pain.

Kowalski
01-20-2004, 04:31 PM
since i dont like windows media player wma and mp3 formats are well implemented. the other formats have some nice features but we cant say that any of these formats are far better than mp3. so here the rule applies:
when it is not necessery to change, it is necessery not to change!