View Full Version : Best way to migrate ActiveSync to new PC - Any Advice?

ppc4me
01-19-2004, 12:09 AM
I am in the process of setting up a new Win XP Pro notebook to replace my main desktop - Win Me (finally!).

I was wondering what is the best advice anyone who has done this before can give me as far as Outlook and ActiveSync go.

I was planning on installing Outlook 2002 which I have on the ipaq CD and also ActiveSync 3.7.1 from the CD.

Once I get these set up, should I move over my .pst file from the main machine so that I have all my old e-mails on the new machine?

How do I move or back up the .pst? I recall having a program to back up the .pst file but I don't think I've been using it and I might not have it installed anymore.

Should I create a new partnership with the new machine as the main PC?

I currently sync wirelessly over Wi-Fi so will this be a problem if I have both machines on with AS and the same partnership info? Should I delete the partnership on the old machine once I have it all set up on the new?

To complicate things, I also have 2 ipaqs one old and 1 new. I'm thinking I want to keep the old ipaq going to the old machine (for now) and just sync the new ipaq with the new notebook (which will eventually replace my old desktop as my primary machine. The old ipaq then might be added to the new machine as well.

I hope this isn't too confusing - just looking for advice from anyone with more than one ppc that migrated AS from one PC to another - to put it simply.

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can provide.

ppc4me

Ripper014
01-19-2004, 02:41 AM
The option for backing up PST files exist in Outlook... you will find it there.

Ed Hansberry
01-19-2004, 04:09 AM
1. Sync your device
2. Move your .PST file to the new PC. It will be under c:\documents and settings\userid\application data (hidden)\Microsoft\Outlook
3. Tell your new PC's Outlook to use this an its primary email store. You may be able to do all of this with XP's File and Settings transfer wizard. I've never used it. :-)
4. Install ActiveSync
5. Dock and create your partnership. This should be your only one. AS will remove old partnership info from your PPC. Tell AS to clear off the PPC data. All outlook data will sync back over.
6. Configure AS to sync files.
7. Undock.
8. Move any files you had on the old PC's PPCMYDocs folder to the new one in your new MyDocs folder.
9. Dock again.

Kind of a pain, but this is the only way I know of that guarantees no duplicated data on that first sync.

ppc4me
01-19-2004, 04:22 AM
Ed,
Thanks for the detailed step by step. I will give it a try tomorrow. I've got the Holiday and all day to get it going.

Thanks again.