View Full Version : Volume Output Redux: External Hardware Solution?

kzemach
01-18-2004, 11:11 PM
I'm not optimistic it exists, but perhaps someone here has heard of something.

We want to increase the output volume from an iPaq (or other PDA if possible). The 3900 series was fine, but now that's not available, and we want at least 50 more... ahh, what to do.

The Question:
Anyone heard of an iPaq sleeve, CF card, PC card, or seral port hack that hijacks the volume output from the built-in speaker and enhances/makes it louder. I know, I know, I could hook small battery powered speakers into the thing, but I want something that will be more "intimately integrated" with the unit, and all fit inside one of those cool red ruggedized cases...

Thoughts? Anyone? As a last ditch option, anyone tried pulling apart a 4000 or 5000 (or 2000/1000) series and swapping out the speaker for a louder one?

kzemach
01-19-2004, 10:07 PM
OK, here's a thought (addressing my own question!).

1. Take a CF Plus or PCMCIA sleeve.
2. Open it up.
3. Attach a thin speaker to the extended battery leads to feed off of it for power
4. Glue that inside the CF/PCMCIA slot space.
5. Make an "audio dongle" that pulls out of the slot and plugs into the headphone jack

- the dongle plugged into the headphone jack "hijacks" the audio from the pathetic speaker and reroutes it to the cool new LOUD speaker hidden in the old, now nonfunctional, PC card slot that is powered off the extra battery that is integrated with the sleeve.

Am I smoking crack? That should, in theory, be pretty easy....

eustts
01-19-2004, 11:47 PM
Take a look at

www.boosteroo.com.

This is an external amplifier for the speaker jack.