View Full Version : Is it too late to get the 4155?

mlucas
01-18-2004, 10:54 PM
I'm finally deciding to come over from the PalmOS world because they can't get their act together. I have an old Clie T-415 thats biting the dust.

Basically I want to be wowed by my PDA and have it last a while.

The iPAQ 4155 appears perfect to me, as I demand dual wireless and a small form factor. My question is, is it too late to think about getting one for longevity's sake? I hear that its processor is behind the times; I have also read articles alluding to a Windows Mobile 2004. How long will it be until something is released that makes the 4155 obsolete? (I hear talk of a 4255 with a new processor.)

Thanks for your help in advance.

rugerx
01-18-2004, 11:04 PM
There is always that feeling of how new is it, should I wait?

The 41xx is somewhat new, so its a good bet IMO.

But, with sales of PPC's skyrocketing, my bet it is they will be like video cards, new models very often, very soon.

You can hold out for a new model, but another one is surely right behind it. =)

Anthony Caruana
01-18-2004, 11:28 PM
In th4e PPC world, there is always a new model around the corner. The 4150 is a great device and I recommend it.

In my mind, the only real "issue" with this device is that it only has 64 MB of internal RAM. However, Pocket PC Techs (www.pocketpctechs.com) offer an upgrade to 128 MB. My guess is that the next release of the 4150 would be the same as the current device with extra RAM so an upgrade from Pocket PC Techs would be equivalent.

Windows Mobile 2004 isn't expected for some time and I would expect that HP will offer a ROM update.

Based on this, I think that the 4150 would be a serviceable device for some time.

Finally, if you buy a 4150 today and it services your needs, does it becomes any less useful when a newer model is released?

Badandy
01-19-2004, 03:29 AM
Get a 4155. It is absolutely great.

mlucas
01-19-2004, 07:24 AM
Thanks for all your help. Certainly, this is a good answer to get...

Kowalski
01-19-2004, 12:46 PM
if you buy a 4150 today and it services your needs, does it becomes any less useful when a newer model is released
agree with you. they always sell us new technologies that we dont exactly need!!! i'm very happy with my device and dont think of changing about a couple of years

Andy Whiteford
01-19-2004, 01:17 PM
The processor is actually current, Intel have a more recent processor available as well but uptake is slow as there isn't a huge improvement between the two models.

Kowalski
01-19-2004, 01:47 PM
you are talking about PXA263, am i wrong?
they use this proccessor in x3 but this didnt bring a performance boost as intel informed.

Anthony Caruana
01-19-2004, 01:56 PM
you are talking about PXA263, am i wrong?
they use this proccessor in x3 but this didnt bring a performance boost as intel informed.

When I read about this CPU on the Intel web site I got the sense that it was more about compact size than performance.

Andy Whiteford
01-19-2004, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure what the reasoning behind the PXA263 was. It may be a smaller die using less power but I know the Asus Pocket PC that currently uses it has been out-benchmarking devices based on the PXA255 although not by much.
If it was released due to a smaller size/efficiency reason then I wonder why it was never adopted for the h4150 series which is the smallest form out there (Apart from the h1900 series which use a different chip).

Janak Parekh
01-19-2004, 05:03 PM
I'm not sure what the reasoning behind the PXA263 was. It may be a smaller die using less power but I know the Asus Pocket PC that currently uses it has been out-benchmarking devices based on the PXA255 although not by much.
http://www.intel.com/design/pca/applicationsprocessors/faq/pxa26x_faq.htm

Looks like the PXA260 series chips are based on the PXA255, but add a bunch more functionality. The e805 has one, too. I'm not sure that's the reason for the ASUS units' performance difference -- that could also be graphics controller and memory tweaks..

--janak

Kowalski
01-20-2004, 04:49 PM
the processing power of todays units are enough for most of the users i think and the problem now arises to power usage and unit size. i dont think that intel will introduce a faster proccessor but will make some improvements on the pxa250 core to lower the power usage.
there are some thics left to increase system performance without increasing the clock speed.