View Full Version : Windows XP Shut Down

ntractv
01-16-2004, 06:58 PM
Okay, I have a problem that maybe someone here can assist me with.

All of a sudden my desktop system will shut down on while I'm on the Internet and I get the following error message:

The system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by
NT/AUTHORITY/SYSTEM.

Time before shutdown:

Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly

Any advice on what the problem is?.

Thanks

Jason Dunn
01-16-2004, 07:00 PM
Are you up to date on all your patches? Are you behind a firewall? It looks like someone might be exploiting an RPC hole...

sgyee
01-16-2004, 07:51 PM
Your machine has been infected by a variant of MS Blaster.

To fix: Get to your task manager and search for "blaster.exe" or "msblast.exe". Kill the process. This will prevent your machine from shutting down again.

Now that the Blaster executable is offline, download the patches from Microsoft and a cleaner from Symantec or another virus scanning company.

ntractv
01-16-2004, 09:14 PM
Thanks a bunch

Janak Parekh
01-16-2004, 09:29 PM
Lots more info here: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html - they also offer a free removal tool.

After you're cleaned up, set up automatic patch downloads from Windows Update and consider setting up the XP Internet Connection Firewall to protect yourself better in the future...

--janak

Oliver Mitchell
01-16-2004, 11:44 PM
to temporarily stop the shutdown click start, then run and type "shutdown -a" (sans quotes) that'll give you time to fix it