View Full Version : Wireless Sync - Suggestions for best Way

shawnc
01-15-2004, 08:31 PM
I realize that this will be a difficult question to provide a definitive answer so I'm just asking for opinions.

Every morning I sync by connecting the cable to my laptop. That just seems so 90's :roll: . I have a deskop connected to my lynksys wireless "g" router and a wireless "g" card for my laptop to connect to the internet. I have also successfully introducted my 4150 into the 802.11 mix. Both computers run w/XP.

I prefer to sync to my laptop. It does NOT appear to have infrared. My question is simply this, based on my equipment which is the easiest way to utilize wireless to sync? I am pleasantly surprised at how inexpensive a BT dongle is and I surely would not mind purchasing one for my laptop if BT is the best method to sync wirelessly. It would also be helpful if anyone suggesting BT also recommended a particular dongle. I have heard horror stories about how some require considerable configuration to get it to work. As a non-techie, I would rather spend a few more bucks and not have to deal with the aggravation.

My preference is leaning towards BT only because I would like to get familar with how this technology works (and I paid for it with my 4150 :D ). However, if syncing is possible AND more effecient using 802.11, then it would appear to be foolish to use BT simply to get familar with it.

Thanx for any suggestions.

Mark_Venture
01-16-2004, 04:47 AM
.... My question is simply this, based on my equipment which is the easiest way to utilize wireless to sync?If your hand held works on your Wi-Fi network, why not just sync via wi-fi?

Right now, at home, my cradle is used for charging only. I sync via wi-fi at home. :)

For wireless at work, I've added a USB Bluetooth Dongle to my laptop and sync my iPAQ via bluetooth.

Wi-Fi is much better. Its faster. Its easier to configure. Less "taps" to sync.

If you're thinking of adding a bluetooth dongle to your PC, make sure it uses Widcom drivers!!

shawnc
01-16-2004, 01:11 PM
Mark,

Thanx for the info. I know it seems silly but I wasn't sure if I needed to introduce something else to the mix to sync wirelessly. But yes, I do use my 802.11 network with my 4150 without any problems.

Two quick questions, do I need to change my sync settings to make this happen? If so, how? (I'm counting that as one compound question :wink: ). Also, if I am only interested in syncing my avantgo content, do I even need to turn my laptop on or can I bypass that step completely and access my avantgo account wirelessly?

Thanx again.

Mark_Venture
01-16-2004, 08:36 PM
Two quick questions, do I need to change my sync settings to make this happen? If so, how? (I'm counting that as one compound question :wink: ).
Do you have software firewall installed on the PC you are sync'ing with? If yes, then you will need to open some ports to allow ActiveSync to connect. Otherwise, nothing special should be needed. Just open active sync on the hand held, and tap on sync.

Also, if I am only interested in syncing my avantgo content, do I even need to turn my laptop on or can I bypass that step completely and access my avantgo account wirelessly?
While the Avantgo client installed on my iPAQ seems to have the ability to initiate a sync from the handheld. It never worked for me, so I have to always sync Avantgo content via ActiveSync. :(

shawnc
01-16-2004, 10:56 PM
Thanx again Mark. I'll give it a try later tonight.

Wiggin
01-16-2004, 11:47 PM
Also, if I am only interested in syncing my avantgo content, do I even need to turn my laptop on or can I bypass that step completely and access my avantgo account wirelessly?

If you are able to establish a WiFi connection with your iPaq, and can see the internet, you can refresh Avantgo content without using ActiveSync. To do so, open PIE on the iPaq (once connected via WiFi!), go to the Avantgo Home page which will list your channels, and tap Tools at the bottom of the list.
Once on the tools page, tap Server Options, and then tap the Sync All Button.
Voila, your iPaq will have fresh Avantgo info and your PC/Laptop was not involved! :way to go:

Mark_Venture
01-17-2004, 03:18 AM
...go to the Avantgo Home page which will list your channels, and tap Tools at the bottom of the list.
Voila, your iPaq will have fresh Avantgo info and your PC/Laptop was not involved! :way to go:
Unfortunately for me, that is what I tried many times, but it would hang and never complete. :( After that happens, launching Avantgo on the iPAQ results in a message telling me its not install correctly and suggests I re-sync. To fix it, I need to do a "Sync All Content" via ActiveSync to get Avantgo working on the iPAQ. :(

shawnc
01-18-2004, 03:41 AM
If you are able to establish a WiFi connection with your iPaq, and can see the internet, you can refresh Avantgo content without using ActiveSync. To do so, open PIE on the iPaq (once connected via WiFi!), go to the Avantgo Home page which will list your channels, and tap Tools at the bottom of the list.

Wiggin,

Thanx for the info. A couple of basic questions. When you say tap "tools", do you mean at the bottom of IE or on the avantgo page? I am on my avantgo page but I don't see a "tools" option and when I select "Tools" in IE there is no "Server Options", on an "Options". Within Options, there is nothing for "Sync All".

I would like to try this and would appreciate it if you would clarify this for me.

Thanx,

Janak Parekh
01-18-2004, 03:46 AM
Thanx for the info. A couple of basic questions. When you say tap "tools", do you mean at the bottom of IE or on the avantgo page? I am on my avantgo page but I don't see a "tools" option and when I select "Tools" in IE there is no "Server Options", on an "Options". Within Options, there is nothing for "Sync All".
There is a Tools "button" in a small red font on the AvantGo page, right below my channels and right above the bottom ad. Works great for me. It's not the PIE tools menu.

--janak

ctmagnus
01-18-2004, 06:21 AM
There is a Tools "button" in a small red font on the AvantGo page, right below my channels and right above the bottom ad. Works great for me. It's not the PIE tools menu.

I'm fiddling with Avantgo and that link is not there at the moment. There are, however, a bunch of red x's. I can't remember the last time I used it, but avantgo://avantgo has been redone since I used it last.

shawnc
01-18-2004, 04:11 PM

--janak

Janak,

Is it possible that different users see different avantgo pages? I'm on their page right now. On the right-hand side of the screen there are 3 tabs, Find, My Device, and My Account. In order for my channels to display, I have to select My Device. This displays my "Synced Subscriptions", which are the channels that I sync with. There is nothing directly below my channels. However, at the bottom and off to the left are typical links such as: About Us, Do Business With Us; Enterprise Solutions; etc.. But no links for tools. Am I on the right page?

Thanx again,

ctmagnus
01-18-2004, 08:57 PM
Is it possible that different users see different avantgo pages? I'm on their page right now. On the right-hand side of the screen there are 3 tabs, Find, My Device, and My Account.

And I have three red X's. So I think it may be based on location.

shawnc
01-18-2004, 09:54 PM
And I have three red X's. So I think it may be based on location.

Just my luck. Thanx for the info ct.

Wiggin
01-20-2004, 09:35 AM
Is it possible that different users see different avantgo pages? I'm on their page right now. On the right-hand side of the screen there are 3 tabs, Find, My Device, and My Account.

Shawn
Just checking to see if you got this figured out... yes? Based upon your question, you may have misunderstood my instruction. The page you are describing above is the Avantgo page on the www (e.g. www.avantgo.com). The page that I was talking about is the Avantgo page on your iPaq!!! :roll: Sorry for not being more clear.

To recap... start PIE on the iPaq, and go to the Avantgo Home Page (on my iPaq, the address is avantgo://avantgo/home... note it is not a www address) You should now be looking at a list of channels which you download (synch) to your iPaq. At the bottom of the list, in small font, are three options:
Tools | My Wireless | Account Info

Tap Tools, then Tap Server Options, then Tap Sync All.

If Avantgo is correctly installed, and you have an active WiFi/BT connection that has been set up correctly to give you access to the internet, Avantgo will immediately start updating the Avantgo content on your iPaq... no need for ActiveSync.

Hope that clears it up a bit. Good Luck :way to go:

ctmagnus
01-20-2004, 10:18 PM
One thing I just noticed, after getting the pretty pictures back: my iPaq had AvantGo set to not connect to sync.avantgo.com:80 by default (Tools -> Server Options). I checked that and was able to update my content wirelessly.

shawnc
01-21-2004, 12:55 AM
Wiggin,

Thanx for the extra clarification. I definitely misunderstood your initial instructions. This is such a great community and most folks are very helpful. But every once in a while someone goes the extra mile, and that's what you just did. To help is one thing, but to actually check back to see how I made out, well that's another thing entirely :way to go: .

Thanx again. BTW, IT WORKS :alfdance: :clap: .

One thing I just noticed, after getting the pretty pictures back: my iPaq had AvantGo set to not connect to sync.avantgo.com:80 by default (Tools -> Server Options). I checked that and was able to update my content wirelessly.

I hate when this happens. It took quite a few tries for me to get this fixed. Oh well, all is good. I can sync without turning on my laptop. When it works as it is supposed to, this PPC thing is GRREEEAAATTTT!