View Full Version : HP Dead Pixel Policy

bdegroodt
01-14-2004, 07:41 PM
Anyone know what HP's dead pixel policy is? I'm not typically this picky about my PPCs and I wouldn't be upset one way or the other, but if it's a free and easy exchange, I might send in my 4355. The display has a couple of dead pixels.

Also, is an early dead pixel issue any kind of indicator of future issues (as in dead pixel screens typically are faulty beyond the obvious dead pixels).

Jason Dunn
01-14-2004, 07:49 PM
Interesting - I've never seen a dead pixel on a Pocket PC! The number of dead pixels is usually a function of the screen size, so on such small LCD screens having dead pixels is extremely rare. I'd call HP and ask for a new device if I were you...

bdegroodt
01-14-2004, 07:58 PM
I was a little suprised myself. After a half dozen iPaqs, this is the first time I've seen this. I remember the old dust issue, but this isn't dust. and it's so small. If it's not an indication of future failure, I'm probably less inclined to want to replace it. But if pixel failure means some day right after the warranty expires, the screen becomes a mirror, I'll send it in to HP.

arnage2
01-14-2004, 08:47 PM
You can also deal with it. My tungsten t had 2 dead pixels in the center of the screen, i ignored it for the 7 months that i had it for. My ipaq 2215 had a dead pixel, and so did my nr70v. Its not a big deal.

bdegroodt
01-14-2004, 08:50 PM
You can also deal with it. My tungsten t had 2 dead pixels in the center of the screen, i ignored it for the 7 months that i had it for. My ipaq 2215 had a dead pixel, and so did my nr70v. Its not a big deal.

exactly what i've said. more curious about if it's an indication of poor performance or failure in the future.

kleb
01-20-2004, 10:36 PM
If it's under warranty, it's probably no problem, but the turnaround time could be anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks depending on what HP decides to do with it.

Just call their customer service(not tech support) and see what they'll do for you. Tech support can only bring it in for service(up to 2 weeks), but customer support can do an exchange(3-4 days).

-Kleb

dochall
01-20-2004, 11:12 PM
It may worthwhile trying this AT YOUR OWN RISK.

When I got my 5550 (in a techno geek lust frenzy of being first) I had a couple of stuck pixels which just looked dead. THe first in Ipaq and it's my fifth.

Much wailing and gnashing of teeth followed.

It was suggested that I try plastic eraser. I still had the protective film so I popped that on and tried it and was pleastantly suprised when it worked. The Ipaq is still going strong with a perfect screen.

Maybe worth a try.