View Full Version : Reformatted PC now no PPC Apps on desktop, is this a problem?

Iznot Gold
01-14-2004, 06:01 PM
Hi,

I've just reformatted my desktop hard drive and done a nice clean Re-instal. Everything went well (ish) and PPC is sync'ing with the desktop fine. But my question is this: whilst all my PPC apps appear to be working fine, I'm aware that when I initially installed them on the PPC, they were also 'installed' on my desktop PC, however, these apps are not now installed on my hardrive - do I need to re-instal on my desktop PC? If I do will I loose anything on my PPC? Should I re-install on desktop but when prompted not re-instal on PPC? Any ideas?

Thanxs in anticipation
David

powder2000
01-14-2004, 07:15 PM
I would say only install if you want a copy available rather than having to download it again. I personally wouldn't, they would just take up more memory than is necessary. Only install again if you want piece of mind that you will always have your current copy on hand. Sometimes authors of software become unavailable or the software you have was free and in a year might cost a few bucks. That would be my only reason for you to have a copy.

Janak Parekh
01-14-2004, 08:29 PM
I agree with powder2000. I sync with two machines, and I've installed some apps from one machine and some from the other. I've had no problems with this arrangement.

--janak

Jason Dunn
01-14-2004, 10:00 PM
It's only an issue if there are desktop components to an application - ie: an ActiveSync conduit, a converter, etc. In most cases, the desktop component just junks up your desktop system. :?

Iznot Gold
01-14-2004, 11:49 PM
Thnxs for the info. Loks like I only need to re-instal PPC MS Money.
Regards
David

Sven Johannsen
01-15-2004, 12:15 AM
If you use acrobat reader, you will want to re-install it. The converter that adds the reflow tagging is installed when you do the PPC install and is gone now.

Worldmate is another product that adds an AS conduit when it is installed to sync weather and currency rates and stuff.

Mostly what you have lost is the cab files that were loaded on your PC for easy re-installs. You will notice that when you go to add/remove programs, it will still list all your programs with checks, but the boxes will be grayed out, indicating the cab for that program isn't available on that PC.

Hopefully you have saved all the original installation files, the .exe's, and the registration codes if you need to re-install on the PPC some time.

Iznot Gold
01-15-2004, 08:42 AM
Thanks Sven,

Yeah kept backups & registration codes for all except that I've noticed that what I thought I was backing up as a full copy of Agenda Fusion is only the updater. May be a kind email to Developer One might get me a full copy, though thinking about it - as I still have registration code - I could probably download the full demo version and use my code!

Anyway thanks to everyone - great peer support!

David

ironguy
01-15-2004, 06:09 PM
I had the opposite issue - kinda. I had a hard reset done on my iPaq 2215 when I flipped it over the car door and onto an ashpalt parking lot. Many of the programs loaded on my storage cards worked just fine. They didn't need to be reloaded from the desktop. Even though they were now gone from the PPC registry, tapping on the .exe worked fine. I cut and pasted shortcuts and haven't looked back. Makes me wonder why they make the effort to register and all that. I suppose it's to allow use of the Active Sync GUI to remove them.