View Full Version : Advice on the X3 please

paolo
01-13-2004, 06:20 PM
Looking at all the PPC's out at the moment I think the X3 is the one for me. My main criteria is to have bluetooth on the device so I'm going to need to buy the Socket Bluetooth SD card with it.

First question therefore is has anyone got this combination and what sort of experiences have they had?

Can you mount network drives over bluetooth? I'd like to be able to connect to my PC to browse MP3s etc without the need to synch and copy them. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

PetiteFlower
01-13-2004, 08:23 PM
If you know you're going to want bluetooth, I'd either get a device with dual slots like the X5 or something with BT built in. The X3 only has one slot so if you're going to be using the bt card in it a lot then you won't be able to have a memory card in there, and that could get annoying very quickly. For you I'd suggest the X5 or the Ipaq 1945.

I do believe you can network over Bluetooth but it only has a range of 30 feet. If you want to take your music with you you'll definitely need a memory card.

paolo
01-13-2004, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. I want bluetooth to connect to my phone for internet access on the move, which won't be all the time.

Just to have bluetooth built in, I can't justify the price and size of the X5, which is why I like the look of the X3.

PetiteFlower
01-14-2004, 02:39 AM
Isn't the X5 cheaper then the X3?

Ok I can't even find the X5 on the site now, I wonder if they're out of stock or something. Last I checked though the X5 300 was 199 and the X3 300 was $229.

Look into the Ipaq though, the list price on the 1945 is 299, but you can probably find it on sale somewhere, so it might end up being worth it after you factor in the cost of the BT card.

Not that I'd want to encourage someone to go with HP over Dell, but hey I always advocate getting the most for your money :)

Mitch D
01-14-2004, 06:37 AM
Isn't the X5 cheaper then the X3?

Ok I can't even find the X5 on the site now, I wonder if they're out of stock or something. Last I checked though the X5 300 was 199 and the X3 300 was $229.

hmmm... I thought it was only the X5 Basic that was being disco'd

paolo
01-14-2004, 10:21 AM
Here in the UK the X5 is about £150 more than the X3 (and neither is being discounted :( ) A BT card is only £75 which is why I'm really tempted.

I've looked at the iPaqs and it seems I would need to go as high as the 4xxx series to get a similar spec to the X3, which again is £150-200 more. However, I'm still open to suggestions - I find the iPaq numbering scheme really hard to decipher, perhaps I'm just looking at the wrong models!

maximus
01-14-2004, 10:31 AM
On my part of the world, the X5 is still more expensive than the X3 no wifi. My suggestion is to get a PPC with integrated bluetooth. Having an SD bluetooth might be fun, but it will not flush with your PPC.

billuk
01-14-2004, 03:57 PM
I'm looking at either the X3i or the 4150 myself but haven't made up my mind yet.

Amazon have the IPAQ for £399.99 (includng VAT and delivery) although C&A electronicshttp://www.rankhour.com/store.php?category_id=1&categoryName=&product_id=723 have it for £339.99 inc.VAT which is the cheapest I've seen. Very tempting although the X3i is still the cheaper machine at around £280 (inc VAT & Delivery from Dell).

Gator5000e
01-17-2004, 10:54 PM
A recent article on this or another site said Dell has submitted an X3 with Bluetooth to the FCC which was recently approved. So Dell may soon be selling an X3 with BT and WiFi soon.

David Prahl
01-26-2004, 10:34 PM
Right - we should expect a BT version in the next few months. If you don't want to wait that long, get an HP 2215 (BT), or a device with a BT card.

What kind of size are you thinking of? The X5 is much larger than the X3.