View Full Version : New Home and I want wireless!

Barak
01-13-2004, 03:50 PM
I tried searching before posting this, but too many threads.

I have a new home that's almost finished. I want to be able to use my Ipaq 4355 wifi to be able to surf the net while I may be anywhere on the first floor of my home.

Can anyone tell me what hardware I may need to accomplish this. I don't know the first thing about routers. I'd like to keep the cost to $200 or less if possible.

Thanks for any feedback.

The Yaz
01-13-2004, 05:21 PM
Depending on how big your house is and if you can still run cat5 will determine wireless coverage in your house.

To start simply get a Wireless Access Point and Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch (Linksys is a good brand and the 802.11b model will only cost $70-80). Hook this up in the room where your cable/dsl modem is and follow the install manual. As long as you do not have to connect thru the kitchen area (the refridgerator impedes reception) this setup should give you a connection 1-3 rooms away.

If there is not enough range to satisfy you, run a cat5 wire into one of the rooms that you need connection in back to the room that you have the router installed. Purchase another Wireless Access Point ( you don't need the router feature and it will save about $20). Connect this point to the router in the other room and all that is left is synching to the two access points.

For a little more money you can invest in a router that can also act as a print server, so with a third party printing program you could even print documents off of your ipaq.

Steve 8)

karinatwork
01-13-2004, 05:39 PM
Well, I am complete newbie and idiot when it comes to wireless and such, but I wanted a wireless internet connection for my laptop. So I went out and bought a wireless router (the one from Netgear was on sale for $ 40) and a wireless network card for my laptop.
My cablebox for the internet is in my home office upstairs, and it was previously connected to my computer upstairs. I unplugged the internet cable from my computer, plugged it into my new router, popped the network card into my laptop and viola' - I was able to surf downstairs in the kitchen!
I run Windows XP on both computers, which probably made it much easier, but I didn't even have to install any software. It just worked. Maybe I'm lucky, but I think if you go and buy yourself a router and just try it out, it might work for you too. The store where I bought mine has a great return policy, so if I wouldn't haven been able to make it work, I could have given it back. When it comes to built-in WIFI of your pocket pc, I haven't tried that one yet (I have a h1910), but I am sure it would work just as easily. (Hopefully, as I am planning on buying a h4150).
As I said, I am a complete idiot when it comes to networking, but it was so easy, and reception is great over two stories.

Good luck! :D

K.

Barak
01-13-2004, 05:44 PM
Yaz:

Yeah, I have cat5 wire all over the house - including my deck!
My "office" is about 50 feet away from living room and my deck is about 100. Would I need just 1 router??

__didi__
01-15-2004, 07:12 PM
Hi Barak! Yes, one router is enough. Most routers have one port to the internet and several ports for your devices.
But I suppose you already have a hub or a switch to connect your different PCs.
If this is the case just connect the router with the external port to the internet and with one internal port to your hub/switch.

bye
didi

shawnc
01-15-2004, 07:57 PM
My experience is similar to karinatwork's. The only thing I would suggest is that with the relatively insignificant price difference, you may want to consider a "g" network if you plan on adding a 2nd pc or laptop. There is a NOTICABLE difference in speed (trust me, it's not just hype). If you go "g", make sure when doing the initial set-up/configuration, you select "mixed". This will allow you to use the ipaq without any problems.

upplepop
01-15-2004, 08:23 PM
My experience is similar to karinatwork's. The only thing I would suggest is that with the relatively insignificant price difference, you may want to consider a "g" network if you plan on adding a 2nd pc or laptop. There is a NOTICABLE difference in speed (trust me, it's not just hype).

If you are just using the wireless for the Internet 801.11b should be more than enough bandwidth. You won't even come close to its full capacity. On the other hand, if you are using the network to transfer files or stream media, shawnc's comment definately applies.

Barak
01-15-2004, 10:48 PM
Shawnc:

Thanks for the feedback, it's very helpful.

Now, I do plan on using the router for my laptop as well as my ppc.
So, do I want b or g. This is where I get confused and feel stupid :bangin: :iamwithstupid:

shawnc
01-16-2004, 02:59 AM
Shawnc:

So, do I want b or g. This is where I get confused and feel stupid :bangin: :iamwithstupid:

I know the feeling amd you are not alone. I'm probably not the best person to answer this question, but my suggestion would be to spend the extra bucks and go "g". The difference in price is no longer significant and my network is so much faster than I expected. And introducing my 4150 to the mix (I am posting this reply via wireless :D ) was a piece of cake.

Good luck.

JustinGTP
01-16-2004, 03:47 AM
The thing is though, that no PDA so far can take the wireless "g"s speed of 54MBPS, they can only get the 11MBPS, which isnt bad.

If you want your laptop or computer wireless, they can take the G speed, just make sure you buy a G rate card for those two.

Also, make sure you get a B+G router where you can use all your equipment.

We just got the Linksys WAP B+G access point, very nice. Im picking up a wireless card soon :D

-Justin.

shawnc
01-16-2004, 01:04 PM
It's a given that the PDA will not benefit from the speed of "g" which is why I suggested this only if an additional PC/laptop was being introduced. Also, I don't know about the B+G access point. I have a linksys G router and my 4150 works just fine with it. I thought all "g" equipment was backward compatible with "b".

teznic
01-17-2004, 02:31 AM
Definetely go G. All the routers out there are backwards compatible with B, so you can use your PPC and notebook at the same time. I also noticed that the access points are usually more expensive than the cable/dsl routers,so might as well go with the internet gateway router since its an all-in-one solution. Most come with software and detailed instructions to get up and running in minutes. I don't think you'll have any problems.

Barak
01-19-2004, 09:10 PM
teznic:

I went to best buy and looked at the various options. The "gateway" router is what I was wondering about. Is it also called a "bridge"?

If these are the same things, and will work, I will probably go with that.

Barak
01-20-2004, 06:19 PM
In my searching, I found this: Netgear FM-114P wireless gateway. Tom's hardware rated this one as the best.

Would this meet my needs as described at the start of this thread??