View Full Version : Best and Cheapest WiFi CF card for Linksys WAP

JustinGTP
01-13-2004, 06:16 AM
Hello all!

Nice to be back, I took a break 8)

Anyways, now that I have to sift through millions of post since I was gone for a long time, I decided to post this.

I would like to know what is a REALLY good CF card (I have a 2215) to work with my Linksys Wireless Access Point (Wireless G)

I cannot find any Wireless G rated CF cards, nor does any place in Calgary sell them.

Best online stores and cost?

Thanks!

-Justin.

dhettel
01-13-2004, 07:39 AM
Well that is because there is no CF "G" card. So if you want a CF card the best it will be is a "b".

David

JustinGTP
01-14-2004, 06:11 PM
No,

I know that there are no sort of G cards, but I meant that I cannot find any B cards in calgary either.

I would like to know what the best WiFi CF Card for "B" would be, I think that I remember Iogear making one?

-Justin.

Deemo
01-14-2004, 09:51 PM
Even if a G card were available the bus speed of your PPC wouldn't recognize the increase regardless.

I have a Socket card and it is great. It has an adhoc mode and the profile is nice and low.

I picked up a Link B CF card in Dallas and retured it promptly. It sticks out quite far.

Most important is the amount of power the card uses.

Socket is one of the lowest power comsumers out there.

It isn't cheap though but there was a recent $40USD rebate (only for US citizens) which brought a $129 Amazon price down to $89 after rebate.

Linksys can be found locally in Calgary at memoryexpress.com.

** Warning** for your G based network at home....your wifi speed will drop to meet the B if you use it at the same time as a G card somewhere else in the house.

JustinGTP
01-15-2004, 01:35 AM

** Warning** for your G based network at home....your wifi speed will drop to meet the B if you use it at the same time as a G card somewhere else in the house.

I know the first line, and I had better not tell my dad the second line lol.

But, Is there some super cheap CF wifi cards? Any good websites?

Thanks!

Deemo
01-15-2004, 01:45 AM

I know the first line, and I had better not tell my dad the second line lol.

But, Is there some super cheap CF wifi cards? Any good websites?

Thanks!

Cheapest equals used...try Ebay or lurk the Buy/Sell on all Pocketpc sites (including Brighthand :D )

gvanjr
01-16-2004, 01:58 AM
Look on ebay for the Symbol CF card, a near clone of the Socket. They can be had for about $30 from Doctor Surplus.

ctmagnus
01-18-2004, 07:00 AM
I have a slightly-used D-Link DCF-650W (http://support.dlink.com/Products/view.asp?productid=DCF-650W) that I haven't used in a while. If you (Honda) want it, pm me. Only thing is, I don't know if it works with WM2003.

JustinGTP
01-18-2004, 08:01 AM
That would be the big thing, it needs to work on WM 2003.

Ill let you know if I would be interested, I definitely plan on getting a CF WiFi card soon! :D

-Justin.

waterboy
01-21-2004, 05:20 AM
I recently purchased a SanDisk WiFi+128 Mb Compact Flash card. It's 802.11b, and comes with a PC card adapter. I got mine from ZipZoomFly.com for US$99, with free shipping, and received it in about 4 days (counting the weekend). It seems to work pretty well, although it is defined as a "low power" WiFi card. WAP placement may be critical if you're going more than 30-40 feet and have structures in between you and the WAP.

PS. It does support WM2003, although I think I had to download the driver for WM2003 from the SanDisk web site.