View Full Version : Help! I've been slimed!!

Mark Johnson
01-13-2004, 02:48 AM
How do you shut down the Vibrant Media IntelliTXT green slime that's popping up all over the homepage?

bdegroodt
01-13-2004, 05:16 AM
You really wouldn't want to do that. Would you? It's a nice way for Jason and company to make back a fraction of what the site is worth without charging you to view the site.

Read more here. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21076&highlight=intellitxt) I'm sure Jason would love a new subscriber (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/subscribe.php) in you as well. :D

JustinGTP
01-13-2004, 06:03 AM
bdegroodt pretty much sumed it up.

We all use the site and the bandwidth, and this is his other chance of many money. Advertisments. I didnt see it as a problem :?

-Justin.

Vulcan
01-13-2004, 06:38 AM
I use a pop up blocker and an ad blocker so I never see it.....

PetiteFlower
01-13-2004, 06:41 AM
I wouldn't say that too loud, Jason will go on a rampage. You read the site, the least you can do to give back is let the ads load.

Vulcan
01-13-2004, 06:51 AM
I find any and all web ads offensive.....If Jason does not like it he can state his opinion, ban me or what ever he likes.....After all it is his board. That is his choice. While I am still here I will post what my honest opinion is and not post messages that I don't believe in or bite my tongue in case I upset the applecart. I know that it costs money to provide bandwidth, servers etc to run a forum such as this but I think you have do it because you love it not to make money.

Pat Logsdon
01-13-2004, 06:55 AM
I find any and all web ads offensive.....If Jason does not like it he can state his opinion, ban me or what ever he likes.....After all it is his board. That is his choice. While I am still here I will post what my honest opinion is and not post messages that I don't believe in or bite my tongue in case I upset the applecart. I know that it costs money to provide bandwidth, servers etc to run a forum such as this but I think you have do it because you love it not to make money.
I would suggest that you read the entire thread that bdegroodt linked. He obviously loves doing it, but it's also how he makes his living.

I can't convince the "everything should be free" people that I deserve to earn a living any more than they can convince me I should forsake paying my mortgage and sacrifice myself to the idea of a "free Internet" and pay my heating bill with good will. The Internet as an adcademic-based bastion of learning and knowledge exchange is dead. The Internet today is a commercial beast that demands to be fed: bandwidth is not free, and sites either scale commercially or they die. I've chosen to do so rather than shut down the site, and if I'm criticised for doing that, so be it.
If you want to block ads, but like the site and find it useful, I'd suggest that you subscribe and use the "turn off ads" feature.

Vulcan
01-13-2004, 07:10 AM
I have read that thread. I can also see that the quickest way to kill a good site is to over populate it with ads/pop ups. I have read the subscription info and decided that it is not for me. For those that come to a different conclusion and wish to subscribe I say great. In the interests of peace this will be my last post on this thread. Feel free to PM me if you would like to continue the discussion....

maximus
01-13-2004, 07:22 AM
Well, the 'population' of 1 ad per page is still fine by me.

Pat Logsdon
01-13-2004, 07:22 AM
I have read that thread.
My apologies - I did not mean to cast an aspersion. :wink:

In the interests of peace this will be my last post on this thread. Feel free to PM me if you would like to continue the discussion....
I've said all I wanted to say, so I'll keep the peace as well. :D

Mark Johnson
01-13-2004, 08:07 AM
It's a nice way for Jason and company to make back a fraction of what the site is worth without charging you to view the site.
Fair enough. I actually didn't realize it was intentional until I followed your thread link:
Read more here. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21076&highlight=intellitxt)

I find the technology a little extreme, but it certainly reasonable that there's no free lunch and the team deserves to make a buck for the excellent work they do.

When I first saw it today, I thought the system was INVOLUNTARY (the way Gator hijacks visitors and redirects them to a competitor's site) not actually part of Jason's ad/income strategy.

I was woried there was some new escalation of the Gator arms-race where the effect is that editors lose control over site presentation (and I have to clean out locally-installed adware.) Now that I know it's just part of the cost/benefit, have-to-pay-the-bills, circle-of-life world we live in, I retract my earlier question/comment.

Carry on PocketPCThoughts Editing Team! And do what ya gotta do!

Jason Dunn
01-13-2004, 07:29 PM
...but I think you have do it because you love it not to make money.

Tell you what: if you can convince my bank to accept my love for mobile devices as payment for my mortgage and car payments, I'll gladly take down the IntelliTXT ads. And if you can somehow make my passion for running free online communities a valid cash deposit at my bank so that I can buy food to eat, I'll happily take down every ad on this site.

I anxiously look forward to you changing the economics of the world! In the meantime, I'll continue to run ads, give benefits to my subscribers, and try to make Pocket PC Thoughts a viable business.

Dave Potter
01-13-2004, 09:44 PM

Tell you what: if you can convince my bank to accept my love for mobile devices as payment for my mortgage and car payments, I'll gladly take down the IntelliTXT ads. And if you can somehow make my passion for running free online communities a valid cash deposit at my bank so that I can buy food to eat, I'll happily take down every ad on this site.

I anxiously look forward to you changing the economics of the world! In the meantime, I'll continue to run ads, give benefits to my subscribers, and try to make Pocket PC Thoughts a viable business.

Don't beat around the bush, Jason. Tell us how you really feel!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

famousdavis
01-13-2004, 10:49 PM

Don't beat around the bush, Jason. Tell us how you really feel!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shouldn't that be, Don't beat around the bush, Jason. Tell us how you really feel!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mandrake
01-13-2004, 10:51 PM
Is it only me that can't see this ad stuff? Maybe it's because I use Opera...

As for ads in general, I have popups turned off because they get in my way (like those bits of paper that fall out of magazines), but anything ON the page I use a very simple method to avoid - I don't read them, just like print ads. That way, the owners of the site/developers of the web browser/whoever gets their money, and I maintain a low blood pressure. :)

Jason Dunn
01-13-2004, 11:06 PM
Is it only me that can't see this ad stuff? Maybe it's because I use Opera...

Yup - Opera doesn't support the particular tags used.

As for ads in general, I have popups turned off because they get in my way (like those bits of paper that fall out of magazines), but anything ON the page I use a very simple method to avoid - I don't read them, just like print ads. That way, the owners of the site/developers of the web browser/whoever gets their money, and I maintain a low blood pressure. :)

Pocket PC Thoughts has never had pop-up or pop-under ads, and we never will. I find them irritating and disruptive myself, and I'll never subject the readers here to something that I don't find acceptable myself. Regarding your tactic with ads, that's fine with me. :-) It's great when people click the ads and surpport the advertisers that support this site, but if you're letting them load then you're helping me out, which I appreciate a great deal. :way to go:

Mandrake
01-13-2004, 11:13 PM
Ta Jason, in fact, if my memory serves me correctly then this is one of the few sites I have ever actually clicked anything, mainly because the ads are rather better targeted than the usual "Click the monkey and win $500" or "If this banner is flashing..." ones.

I expect a subscription will be coming at some point, but at the moment, as a student with far too little money (not least because of my Pocket PC!) it is hard to justify. I do appreciate that the site doesn't lock non-subscribers out of the essential content, while still offering an incentive in the form of subscriber goodies. I wish more sites took this approach. Just try downloading anything from FilePlanet to see how not to do it!