View Full Version : Any PocketPC App Similar to Palm Desktop?

apanther28
01-12-2004, 07:54 PM
Are there any PocketPC apps similar to Palm Desktop. I currently entering data through Pocket Controller or on the handheld itself. It's tedious! I need an app similar to that-

I have an IPAQ 2215 - 64mb SD card, 256mb CF card. Currently using Pocket Informant as my PIM. Please help! :cry:

Kevin Remhof
01-12-2004, 08:10 PM
I hope this isn't too simple of an answer but the equivalent to Palm Desktop is Outlook. Anything you put into it can be synched to your Pocket PC. Personally, I enter very little on my Pocket PC. I sync with Outlook for my calendar, contacts, tasks, and notes.

apanther28
01-12-2004, 08:15 PM
My only problem is that my Outlook at home is different than my work Outlook. I dont want all of the business contacts to sync over, nor do I want my personal contact info synced to my pc at work. I know i can turn that off, but it's a pain. So, is my only option, not to sync contacts at work? And use Outlook at home?

Kevin Remhof
01-12-2004, 08:21 PM
In my experience, yes. I see where you are coming from now. It's always a pain to keep two separate sets of data like that. Yes, you can set ActiveSync to only sync your home contacts and not your work ones. You will need to run Outlook at home to do this.

Maybe someone else will have a more creative solution.

Vincent M Ferrari
01-12-2004, 08:36 PM
My only problem is that my Outlook at home is different than my work Outlook. I dont want all of the business contacts to sync over, nor do I want my personal contact info synced to my pc at work.

Easiest way to do this: Set up categories. Assign all your work contacts a category called Work Contacts, and do the same for your personal contacts.

In activesync, set it to sync only the category that applies to the computer you're using. Your PPC will have both, but the computers will only have the ones that belong there.

apanther28
01-12-2004, 08:55 PM
Thanks! I'll try that and let you know how it turns out.

absolutVenky
01-12-2004, 08:58 PM
Easiest way to do this: Set up categories. Assign all your work contacts a category called Work Contacts, and do the same for your personal contacts.

In activesync, set it to sync only the category that applies to the computer you're using. Your PPC will have both, but the computers will only have the ones that belong there.

This is how Activesync ought to work when used with categories. However Activesync doesn't really work this way and you will soon end up with all data everywhere because both PCs will grab everything from the device.

If you've figured out a way to get this to work please do let us know!

Vincent M Ferrari
01-12-2004, 08:59 PM
You have to be kidding. Why include the functionality if it doesn't work?!?!

JEEZ! I AM SO DAMNED TIRED OF THINGS BEING INCLUDED ONLY TO FIND OUT THEY DON'T WORK WHEN YOU WANT TO USE THEM THE WAY THEY'RE INTENDED!!!!

So now we're back to square one.