View Full Version : Can't adjust backlighting on a 2215...

Don Tolson
01-12-2004, 05:56 PM
Anyone seen this? I'm not sure of the circumstances that got me here, but I now can't adjust either of the backlight buttons for battery or power.
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/2003/don-jan04-ipaq-brightness.gif
As you can see, both buttons are 'greyed out' and tapping them just produces beeps.

I tried a hard reset, and this returns the buttons to normal operation, but when I do a full system restore from my last backup (just before the hard reset), I'm back to where I started.

I'm thinking it might be a registry entry somewhere, but I thought I'd ask around here before playing with selective restores, or rebuilding from scratch.

Thanks.

newst
01-12-2004, 07:09 PM
Go to the Battery Power tab and turn off the option for auto adjustment based on remaining charge. Then you will be able to enter manual levels.

Don Tolson
01-12-2004, 07:18 PM
Go to the Battery Power tab and turn off the option for auto adjustment based on remaining charge. Then you will be able to enter manual levels.

Sorry, no such flag. On my Battery Power tab, I have 2 options: a) Turn off backlight if devices is not used for... and b) (Greyed out) Turn on backlight when a button is pressed or the screen is tapped.

psionite
01-12-2004, 08:07 PM
I had this problem after downloading sprite backup. Included is Sprite Space Detective which includes a backlight utility. After much scratching of my head with backlight stuck on 0%, I found that Sprite backup battery utility was set to "auto" on the today screen, changing this to manual sorted the problem.

Hope this helps?

Psi.

AMelis
01-13-2004, 05:20 AM
Also, if you are doing a hard reset followed by a restore, it is setting everything back to the way it was. What happens after a soft reset? I had the same happen and that did it for me....

Ripper014
01-13-2004, 08:49 AM
I am guessing that you might have been playing somewhere you should not have... and deleted something by accident. Your restore... is not correcting the problem because you had already done the damage prior to the restore.

However a hard reset is bringing the system back to it's factory fresh state...

As I said.. I am only guessing.. so take my comments for what they are worth...

Don Tolson
01-13-2004, 04:51 PM
Agreed that the hard reset/restore is only bringing me back to the point where I was, so there is no perceived affect. It's definitely something to do with one of the applications on my machine.

I think it's probably some 'feature' of Sprite's PocketMon, since I now have a 'backlight' adjuster on my today screen. Problem is, I can't figure out how to turn the blinking thing off, short of removing the whole application from my PPC.

Don Tolson
01-21-2004, 12:39 AM
Problem solved! Thanks Guys...

It appears to be a combination of stuff. Mostly a 'feature' of PocketMon from Sprite. It defaults to 'auto' control the backlight, but also, when you select icons to be their smallest, there's some difficulty in getting the backlight utility to come out of Auto mode.

Once I changed the icons to medium size, I was able to turn off the Auto feature, get back my control of the backlight from the System settings, then return the icons to 'smallest' size.

All is fine now.

Thanks again.