View Full Version : Software for Defragmenting an SD Chip

pususuti
01-11-2004, 10:25 AM
I have StorageTools 1.8 and a 256MB SD. It seems to take at least 2 whole days to defragment 45% of the SD usage. Is this a common experience? Is there a comparatively better, faster software? :lol:

unxmully
01-11-2004, 02:06 PM
Not being funny but why bother with defrag tools for this kind of media?

1. I've seen it said that the benefits of defragging media of this kind are too small to be worth bothering with, if any at all.

2. You can do the whole thing in far less time using ActiveSync to move the contents off the disk and then back again.

So why worry?

baggins
01-11-2004, 04:50 PM
StorageTools really doesn't work very well. I've experienced the same slow defragging as you. Sometimes it helps to abort the defragmentation when the program seems to have come to a halt, and then restart it. I've used version 1.4 thru 1.8 and none seem to resolve this annoying issue.

Bags

Sven Johannsen
01-11-2004, 08:25 PM
I'd agree with Unxmully. Not sure you gain much defragging a Random Access memory media except maybe some space. If you have a memory card reader, and I recommend you do, it is a whole lot faster to copy the files to your hard drive, format the memory card and copy the files back. Has the same effect.

Kowalski
01-11-2004, 08:40 PM
agree with all: defragging a flash card has almost no advantage and having a card reader is good if you want high speeds. buy youself a crusef so you can carry wherever you go

Mr_Know
01-11-2004, 08:51 PM
I have StorageTools 1.8 and a 256MB SD. It seems to take at least 2 whole days to defragment 45% of the SD usage. Is this a common experience? Is there a comparatively better, faster software? :lol:

Hi there ... i'm new here ....nice Forum...!!!

There is a Tool out call "Pocket Mechanic" that have all you need!

But defragmention is not for "Storeage Cards" ...this option is for IBM Micro Drive ...real HDD!!!

A Storeage Card is a Chip not a HDD so for what AND HOW you want
defrag that....that is not posible and will not work...you find it out..watch back at you 2 Day defragmention...hehe... :mrgreen:

Ok, plz do not beat me about my poor english...i'm leaning..Thx U..!