View Full Version : Free NON SECURE (!?!) email. Might be a winner!

DrtyBlvd
01-10-2004, 11:04 PM
www.mailinator.com

This is very strange. You have to go see for yourself; initially seems crazy. Then you have a look for a few email addresses, and realise the truth. Who cares if they're out to get you???

I think I need to sit down.

Any comments? Mail me at:

[email protected] :D

Janak Parekh
01-11-2004, 01:11 AM
Yup, I saw this some time ago. It's a very clever concept. The idea is if you need a throwaway email address, you can just use them. This is useful for registering for free websites, for example. Who cares if others get the email? :D

By the way... you have no messages. :lol:

--janak

Tom W.M.
01-11-2004, 01:58 AM
I've use this service once, when I needed to register at a site that said that it would sell my email address. It worked well, though it means that that site won't be able to send me updates.

Jon Westfall
01-11-2004, 05:24 AM
I've use this service once, when I needed to register at a site that said that it would sell my email address. It worked well, though it means that that site won't be able to send me updates.

But would you really want to receive them?

Janak Parekh
01-11-2004, 06:25 AM
Sometimes you don't have a choice. Have you ever gone to a site that needed registration to download a driver, for example?

--janak

sublime
01-11-2004, 06:57 AM
Yeah, I thought of this concept a good couple of years ago. I have some BS account at Yahoo just for this purpose. I check it once a week just for the fun of it and see around 10 emails in my inbox and 60 in my junk mail folder.

Pyuck

DrtyBlvd
01-11-2004, 07:01 AM
http://filenabber.com/nator/

This tool allows you to check mailinator remotely from your "home" address.... mmm.....

Tom W.M.
01-11-2004, 09:25 AM
It was with Freeservers.com (http://www.freeservers.com/), so if they were to send me updates concerning changes in their service I might want to know.

Steven Cedrone
01-11-2004, 01:49 PM
I use Mailinator when my old favorite "[email protected]" doesn't work when trying to register for sites that I don't feel I should have to register for...

Did that make sense??? :wink:

Steve

mrkablooey
01-11-2004, 02:45 PM
I use Mailinator when my old favorite "[email protected]" doesn't work when trying to register for sites that I don't feel I should have to register for...

Steve

Bla bla bla.

Mitch D
01-11-2004, 09:15 PM
I have always used [email protected] when going to sites that ask you to register, saves all the junk email :wink:

denivan
01-12-2004, 12:53 AM

Steve

Actually, it doesn't make sense to annoy the ownner of bla.com and getting him tons of junk mail...
I see alot of people doing the same thing on usenet...it just doesn't seem polite to me, think about it.

Ivan

Janak Parekh
01-12-2004, 01:03 AM
Actually, it doesn't make sense to annoy the ownner of bla.com and getting him tons of junk mail...
I see alot of people doing the same thing on usenet...it just doesn't seem polite to me, think about it.
Good point. Either use an invalid domain, like "example.com" (registered by IANA) or an invalid TLD, like "bla.invalid" if you don't need the email to that address.

--janak

Vincent M Ferrari
01-12-2004, 01:12 AM
Yahoo used to be my method of choice for signing up for websites that required an email addy. Then I just gave up and set up a catchall on my own domain and give out that address accordingly. For example, I give out [email protected] for Macys and such. If they sell my address, I have them caught red-handed.

I set up a Yahoo! mail account recently, and have only logged in to it twice and never gave it out. Turns out that I had 20 junk mail messages after a couple of days which means either:

1. Yahoo does give out your e-mail to anyone willing to pay for it or whatever...

2. Spammers got lucky and managed to randomly hit my e-mail quite a few times.

Either way, I abandoned that account ages ago because I just couldn't keep up with deleting the tidal wave of spam.

Steven Cedrone
01-12-2004, 03:51 AM

To be honest with you, I never thought about that (the last time I tried to email that address, the message bounced)...

Oh well, I guess I'll just use something else... :wink:

Steve

Tom W.M.
01-12-2004, 04:26 AM
I like to use [email protected]. :twisted:

ale2999
01-12-2004, 05:13 AM
ok my isp is telus (www.mytelus.com). They provide an infinite number of aliases for each email address. so I made a myspam at telus dot net and use that. thinking about it, I dont really need that anymore as telus is using a server spam filter which work FLAWLESSLY! its just great. the only time I have to deal with spammers is on my hotmail account, and I actually noticed that in the last months the number of spam letters have decreased dramatically. Maybe hotmail updated their filters...