View Full Version : pocketpc (wince) synchronizing with serial to linux laptop for internet access problem, Please help

atv
01-10-2004, 04:21 PM
Well, i recently removed linux again, still have the linux bootloader though, in case of trouble. But synchronizing with linux to my laptop (also linux) was easy, or at least trivial. That way i could access the internet over my serial connection with ppp.

But now i want to do the same thing, with the windowsce (i restored the flash files). However, i have no idea how. I tried setting up a modem connection (but this allows no direct connection), just the pc connection, etc. to no avail.

I have put ip_forwarding to 1 on my suse laptop and i have synchrozing software for pocketpc installed on it, which works fine. I can setup a ppp connection no problem, and i can ping it (also from my router), but i cannot use the iexplorer or outlook to get _on_ the internet from the ipaq.

In linux it usually was a gateway problem on the ipaq, but i have no command prompt or anything so i can't verify this. pls help, as it would really make my day if i could get internet access on the box.

I'm sure it's a tiny thing i'm overlooking.
thanks a bunch

ps any tutorials on how to synchronice a ipaq with wince to a laptop with linux on it would also be VERY appreciated.

Janak Parekh
01-10-2004, 07:06 PM
atv, this is a very rare configuration, so most people (including me) are not going to be of much help.

Are you implying that you have pppd running on the laptop and you're establishing an outgoing ppp connection from the Pocket PC to the laptop, and the laptop's supposed to act as the gateway?

What I suggest you do is to download vxUtil (http://www.cam.com/vxutil_pers.html), a free debugger tool. It lets you get full info on the IP stack's current state, lets you run pings, traceroutes, and DNS lookups, and a few other things. By having that, hopefully you can debug what's wrong with your pppd or PPP client configuration.

(Also, I haven't configured pppd before, so I'm not sure, but I do know that for ethernet-to-ethernet IP masquerading you must add some rules to iptables/ipchains for the kernel to know what to do with the packets...)

--janak

atv
01-10-2004, 08:41 PM
i have it setup already, thanks. I used a modem connection with a dummy telephonenumber, with a terminal upfront, so the chat script on the linux machine receives a manually typed CLIENT. The wince i have unfortunately doesn't have a direct connection so i did it this way.

What i would like though, is that when selecting the PC icon, that when i put it in the cradle, i can select what connection it synchronizes to. Most preferably, one i defined in the Modem connection settings. But that doesn't seem possible! You can only select the existing ones (11500b, etc.,USB,) or create a new one. Now this wouldn't be that big a problem, but the connection you make there differs from the one you make in the modem section, by that you can't put your own dialing codes in there..

Grr.

kempokaraterulz
01-11-2004, 01:49 AM
I personally like a program called synce (http://synce.sf.net) there is a vfs extension for synce and mc (midnight commander) which makes moving files very easy... and to install a cab file you just type "synce-install-cab file.cab". Check it out... it works well for me.

edit: there are tutorials on the site. This also allows network access if you edit /etc/ppp/peers/synce-device to have ip addresses within your own subnet.

atv
01-11-2004, 01:33 PM
actually that is the program i'm using on my notebook. i've got it all working now, yeh!

it is also the _only_ program on unix for pocketpc synchronization.
but then again, it's for dccm/vdccm and you don't really need it, it should be enough just to setup a ppp connection trough the serial cable on the cradle. I think the notebook needs to behave as a server because if you fire up a terminalprogram the ipaq constantly broadcasts CLIENT CLIENT to the server. I tried it the other way around, that also works.