View Full Version : Power Button / Power On "Hack"? (4155)

dazednconfused
01-09-2004, 03:45 PM
I am moving from the Palm Vx to an HP iPaq xxxx. Considering the 4155 (or 2215).

With the Palm Vx, the power button protruded enough that closing the carrying case would turn it on. Luckily, there was a Hack that you could install so turning it on required the Power Button and Contrast button be depressed at the same time.

I guess a two part question:

Is this a problem with the 4155?
....And if so, is there a "hack" (or whatever its called for PocketPC), to help avoid the inadvertent power on?

TIA

PROlenick
01-09-2004, 04:27 PM
I've just moved (in the past month) from the HP-orphaned Jornada 568 - with its wonderful hard metal clamshell cover that protected the screen and most of the buttons - including the power button - from accidental presses, to the Samsung i700 sold thru Verizon, with a faster processor, much brighter screen, and cellphone/speakerphone with high speed (100k average) Express Network internet connection built-in.

However, one downside to the i700 is that the power button is on the side and easily pressed by accident. Is there a version of this hack for the i700?

I would be as interested in preventing it from being accidentally turned off as accidentally turned on.

ironguy
01-09-2004, 04:35 PM
I've had my 2215 for a nnumber of months now and never had an accidental turn on due to button placement. While it certainly is possible, the power button does not extend past the case.

You can set your new PPC to auto shut off after x number of minutes. This will power off the unit if accidentally turned on. I don't believe you can do a multi-button power on sequence.

Sven Johannsen
01-09-2004, 04:43 PM
Is this a problem with the 4155?
....And if so, is there a "hack" (or whatever its called for PocketPC), to help avoid the inadvertent power on?
TIA

Yes it is a problem with both the 4155 and 2215. I have never seen a 'hack' that would require two simultaneous button presses for turn on.

My solution is to get a decent case. There are a number of good options for the 2215. I personnaly have and like the SENA flip case. It solves that problem and lets you sync with the case on, in the cradle. I recall there is another company that allows that as well.

At this point there are not all that many cases specifically designed for the 4155, though those that are should solve the turn on problem. I just got my Innopocket aluminum case for my 4155 yesterday and it certainly will keep the on/off button from being pressed inadvertantly.

The final suggestion is to invest in a good backup program. I have Pocket Backup set to run every morning at 5AM. My backup is never more than 24 hours old. The most I would loose is PIM info that hadn't yet been synced to the desktop.

P.S. for Ironguy. It doesn't take much of a squeeze with the stock case to turn on the 2215. Problem is, once on any slight pressure on the screen will keep it on. I don't have as big a problem with this as my wife does with PPCs in her purse.