View Full Version : iPAQ 5400/5500 WLAN Update

Ed Hansberry
01-09-2004, 09:00 AM
<a href="http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handhelds/us/download/20019.html">http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handhelds/us/download/20019.html</a><br /><br />HP has released a WLAN update for the 5400 and 5500 series iPAQs running Windows Mobile 2003. Even though the about page doesn't specifically say it, the update doesn't show up on the Pocket PC 2002 version of the 5400 site. It <i>appears</i> to be a RAM update, not a ROM update. :( The enhancements include:<br /><br />• LEAP user interface now integrated into Microsoft WLAN user interface. <br />• Provides LEAP support for those customers accessing Cisco LEAP enabled Network. <br />• Improves connectivity. <br />• Improves roaming ability.<br /> <br />So, after the LEAP UI enhancement and LEAP support for Cisco networks, there is the following warning. "This WLAN driver update is not compatible with the LEAP supported driver for the iPAQ and with networks that use LEAP authentication."<br /><br />I have no clue what that means. :? Maybe one of you with LEAP can fill us in. :confused totally: The rest of you 5400/5500 owners, maybe you just need to take a leap of faith. :lol:

freitasm
01-09-2004, 10:11 AM
I have a network at work that uses CISCO LEAP. There's no way to make this thing on my h4155 to work with the router :evil:

Perhaps this model needs an update - not to introduce the feature, but to fix it?

OSUKid7
01-09-2004, 01:00 PM
what is LEAP?

pepemosca
01-09-2004, 03:07 PM
LEAP server
Light EAP server used by the Wireless LAN Solution Engine to combine centralized two-way authentication with dynamically generated wireless equivalent privacy keys or WEP keys.

EAP server
Servers running extensible authentication protocol to provide dynamic, session-specific wireless encryption keys, central user administration. and authentication between clients and access points.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps3915/products_user_guide_chapter09186a00800b678f.html

Hope that helps

Vincent M Ferrari
01-09-2004, 03:10 PM
I tried to install it, but it told me vnetusba.dll was in use (WiFi was off, and not connected to my network) and wouldn't let the install continue.

Jeez... :roll:

iPAQ_ace
01-09-2004, 03:14 PM
Unfortunately, I've heard through several people that even though HP says that the iPAQ's have LEAP support - that this doesn't appear to be the case :(

You would think that HP would be testing this out and hopefully have it working on their end, but with all the complaints that I have heard, there has to be a disconnect somewhere...

what is LEAP?

LEAP (Cisco's Lightweight Extensible Authentication Protocol) is wireless technology that is built on the 802.1x authentications for local area networks (LANs), which allows users to roam freely and not to be tied to any one specific domain or to the rotation of encrypted security keys. Customers can use their username and password as defined by the administrator.

pepemosca
01-09-2004, 03:15 PM
I tried to install it, but it told me vnetusba.dll was in use (WiFi was off, and not connected to my network) and wouldn't let the install continue.

Jeez... :roll:

Try by doing a Soft Reset

Vincent M Ferrari
01-09-2004, 03:32 PM
Tried that.

that_kid
01-09-2004, 04:05 PM
So far the workaround for this is to find that dll file and rename it to .old then reinstall the update and it should work. I haven't tried it for this update as mine worked the first time but the previous update gave me problems like this and renaming the dll worked.

pepemosca
01-09-2004, 04:12 PM
But, is this update good?

Is the Wi-Fi working better than with the HP iPAQ Pocket PC h5400-h5500 Series WLAN Driver Update - version 3.2.2.115?

that_kid
01-09-2004, 04:22 PM
So far I see no difference in performance but I do see a differnce with the signal meter. Hp's been playing with the meter again and now it will show a lower signal BUT that's just a representation, it's doesn't mean that your coverage has been decreased. I'm able to go to my fringe area of my network with this update and it's the same as my other 5555 which still has the old update. I'm still in the process of testing the roaming improvement but it's snowing so that may have to wait.

MPSmith
01-09-2004, 04:37 PM
The WLAN performance has always been fine on my 5455, so I'm hesitant to install this upgrade.

iPAQ_ace
01-09-2004, 04:53 PM
Had the same dll problem. Renamed the dll and was able to install this. Haven't been able to test this out yet though.

tospappy
01-09-2004, 04:59 PM
This must be a mobile 2003 only update. It will not install on a 2002 5400. Oh well, I am too old to leap anyway.

Racer-X
01-09-2004, 05:02 PM
This must be a mobile 2003 only update. It will not install on a 2002 5400.

HP has released a WLAN update for the 5400 and 5500 series iPAQs running Windows Mobile 2003. Even though the about page doesn't specifically say it, the update doesn't show up on the Pocket PC 2002 version of the 5400 site.
Figured that out on your own did you? :?

R K
01-09-2004, 07:44 PM
This must be a mobile 2003 only update. It will not install on a 2002 5400. Oh well, I am too old to leap anyway.

The ROM Update and the Firmware Update combined, should give you LEAP Support with Pocket PC 2002.

You can get them both on <a href=http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/locate/71_5553.html>THIS PAGE</a href>.

Dave Beauvais
01-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Had the same dll problem. Renamed the dll and was able to install this. Haven't been able to test this out yet though.
So the file can't be replaced because it's in use, but it can be renamed? Gee, that makes sense. :roll:

Since I'm having no problems with my WLAN and never connect to any LEAP-enabled networks, I think I'll wait 'til this one shows up in a ROM update somewhere down the line.

logo20heli
01-10-2004, 12:33 AM
I was able to update my 5455 iPaq to the new driver today. I did have to rename the two files vnetusba.dll and leap.dll in the \windows directory and then run the setup program. It asked if I wanted to replace those two DLLs and I said yes. The install proceeded and when done, I soft reset the device.

The asset viewer now reports WLAN driver version as 3.2.4.129.

I was able to connect to my corporate WLAN which uses Cisco wireless access points with LEAP enabled. To do so, I had to go into the Connectivity Bubble->Settings->Advanced->Network Card and select the SSID for my network. In the "Configure Wireless Network" . Under the "Authentication" tab, the "Enable network access using IEEE 802.1X EAP type" drop-down list now has a new entry called "LEAP". I configured for that and then a dialog came up asking me for my NT login credentials and after I entered them I was connected.

So this driver connects to LEAP networks successfully. The previous service pack SP25582 LEAP driver also allowed me to connect to my corporate network. The difference here seems to be that the authentication mechanism is better integrated into the WM2K3 mechanism. Instead of having a separate executable \windows\LeapUI.exe, they now have eliminated the separte executable.

The important bug fix is that now the LEAP credentials are remembered when you try to reconnect to the network. So I no longer have to enter my credentials every time.

I am happy that HP has continued to follow up and support the 5455 product even after its been out for over a year. Of course it would have been nice to have this support early last year when I was expecting it would be out. Anyway, thanks again HP!

iPAQ_ace
01-10-2004, 03:29 AM
Since I'm having no problems with my WLAN and never connect to any LEAP-enabled networks, I think I'll wait 'til this one shows up in a ROM update somewhere down the line.

:rotfl: I was going to wait too, but was trying to demistify what HP posted on its site about this update.

I haven't noticed really any difference in improved connectivity. Unless you really need it (for LEAP), I'd pass on this download and wait for this to be included in a major rom update like you mentioned Dave :)

Vincent M Ferrari
01-10-2004, 06:01 AM
So the file can't be replaced because it's in use, but it can be renamed? Gee, that makes sense. :roll:

I'll tell ya, I'm starting to suspend disbelief at this point. Everything I knew about computers does not apply with this thing.

Anyway, the upgrade went fine and connections to my Wifi router happen much quicker (as far as the time for the light to go from amber to green).

Worth the effort, I guess. :treadmill:

Jerry Raia
01-11-2004, 09:34 PM
I'm gonna pass on this for my 5555. I'm at the point were I dont trust the upgrades for this thing. After the last update if I use password protection, i have to do soft resets all the time.

freitasm
01-11-2004, 09:59 PM
I was able to connect to my corporate WLAN which uses Cisco wireless access points with LEAP enabled. To do so, I had to go into the Connectivity Bubble->Settings->Advanced->Network Card and select the SSID for my network. In the "Configure Wireless Network" . Under the "Authentication" tab, the "Enable network access using IEEE 802.1X EAP type" drop-down list now has a new entry called "LEAP". I configured for that and then a dialog came up asking me for my NT login credentials and after I entered them I was connected.

I'm using a h4155, and the Enable Network Access using IEEE 802.1X is only available if WEP is enabled - in our case the network does not use WEP but does require LEAP. Then when I select the list it says that I need a certificate to connect to the network.

logo20heli
01-12-2004, 04:07 AM
I'm using a h4155, and the Enable Network Access using IEEE 802.1X is only available if WEP is enabled - in our case the network does not use WEP but does require LEAP. Then when I select the list it says that I need a certificate to connect to the network.
I also have a 4155 and it's LEAP implementation is slightly different than the 5455/5555. For the 4155, you need to go to the Settings->System->LEAP applet and entery your credentials there. Then connect to your LEAP network. At least that's how I remember doing it. I've had no problems with the 4155 connecting to LEAP.

Trimble
01-12-2004, 05:42 PM
My problem with the WLAN has been thus:

I turn on the wlan and wander around Seattle. As I roam from one area to another and enter and exit broadcasting zones, I don't get the bubble pop-up informing me that it has found a new network and would I like to configure it.

If I reach up and turn wireless off, however, I instantly get a pop-up that lists all the networks it found and asks which one I would like to connect to.

When Im in an area I know to be covered by a network I want to use, I seem to have to manually go all the way into settings and tap/hold and Connect to it.

Does this patch fix this?

logo20heli
01-13-2004, 05:39 PM
I don't get the bubble pop-up informing me that it has found a new network and would I like to configure it.

If I reach up and turn wireless off, however, I instantly get a pop-up that lists all the networks it found and asks which one I would like to connect to.
Unfortunately that glaring problem has NOT been fixed. It seems like the lan adapter cannot detect when a access point is no longer available. The list of networks indicates that it is still connected to the previous access point even though that access point is miles away.

I recently bought a 4155 and it does not have this problem.

I certainly hope HP fixes this issue.

freitasm
01-13-2004, 08:07 PM
That's why I'm testing the Pocket WinC from Cirond. Very cool program!