View Full Version : Help! I'm ready to throw my wireless card out the window! (or, worse yet, my iPAQ!)

Hugh Nano
01-09-2004, 05:38 AM
All right. To begin with, please forgive me if this inquiry duplicates lots of other pleas for help, but I've already spent so much time sifting the internet for solutions that seem to do absolutely nothing, that right now I'd rather just turn to my friends at my favorite Pocket PC site for help.

I have an iPAQ 3650 recently upgraded to Pocket PC 2002 (see my earlier posts for some of my woes there... ended up having to rebuild the ROM from one of Compaq's old ROM updates!) and a GemTek wireless LAN card (802.11b). I am trying to connect to the internet through a wireless hub which connects directly to the internet through our school network. I have two laptops with various 802.11b cards that connect to the internet through the hub just fine--but my Pocket PC refuses to make any sort of connection!

I'm relatively new to PPC 2002's Connection Manager (Mangler), but I think by now I must have tried virtually every combination of Internet-Work-Internet, Internet-Internet-Work, etc., imaginable about five times over. Nothing seems to work. Either I get a message that "The page you are looking for cannot be found" or else I get the "Trouble Connecting" dialog ("Unable to connect with current settings. To change your connection settings, tap Settings"), which takes me to the same useless Work-Work-Work, Internet-Internet-Work, etc. Connections page. Nothing works!

OK. Now I'm even more puzzled. As I've been typing this, I've continued to fiddle with settings and stuff, and finally (to my immense surprise) got connected with a Work-Work-Work setting. "Eureka!" I thought, but, still suspicious, turned off my Pocket PC to see if it would still work when I turned it on again. It didn't. :cry: Once again, "The page you are looking for cannot be found" all the time.

There seems to be something odd happening with the IP address. Right now (and before it worked), the Current IP reported by VxUtil is a rather strange 169.254.230.44 (no, before it worked briefly, it was something similar but slightly different). VxUtil lists both a Primary DNS which is my wireless hub, and a Secondary DNS, which is my school's domain-name server. During the few brief moments it worked, my iPAQ had a more normal-looking Current IP of 192.168.1.104 (my laptop is 192.168.1.102), assigned by my wireless hub.

Can anyone out there give me some clue as to what might be going on (and how to fix it!) before I begin tearing out my hair and jumping up and down on my beloved iPAQ!?!?

Steven Cedrone
01-09-2004, 05:45 AM
Well, the 169.254.230.44 is the result of your Pocket PC not being able to lease an IP address from your DHCP server. Have you tried assigning a static IP address to your device???

Steve

Hugh Nano
01-09-2004, 06:02 AM
Any quick suggestions as to how I go about assigning a static IP address to my device? I have a LinkSys wireless router, if that helps. (With 128-bit WEP and MAC filters enabled. The wireless card's MAC address is included as one of the allowed MAC addresses!)

Hugh Nano
01-09-2004, 06:23 AM
OK, to back up a bit. Despite my iPAQ's GemTek Wireless Settings proram telling me it is "associated", I am not able to ping the router. Is this normal?

Mitchybums
01-09-2004, 06:28 AM
ok. try finding and download/install winc or something. this should scan for avail. wifi networks and the signal quality. It could be possible you are trying to connect to a neighbiurs wifi.

the 16x ip is that the ppc doesnt get an ip-adress, so it could be signal qual related.

try reinstalling the wifi drivers. then connect another wifi device and get the full ip info from that machine, and punch that in as ip info on your ppc. turn of the other device when you reset your ppc for activating settings.

the work blah settings do not apply just yet. you dont have a valid/working connection yet.

maybe the card is bad. or maybe it stopped working after the rom upgrade. maybe need new cf/sd drivers .

goodluck

Hugh Nano
01-09-2004, 07:09 AM
ok. try finding and download/install winc or something. this should scan for avail. wifi networks and the signal quality. It could be possible you are trying to connect to a neighbiurs wifi.

OK. Step 1 worked, though not because I was trying to connect to any neighbouring WiFi network. I suspect the GemTek Wireless Settings software that came with the card may be buggy? When I cut-and-pasted my wireless network access code into PocketWiNc, it connected just fine, and has continued to connect just fine ever since. Still, seems odd that it should have worked even briefly if the WEP code wasn't registering...

Thanks for the help! Hope it continues to work... (fingers crossed)