View Full Version : Answer this question now!

sublime
01-09-2004, 03:59 AM
Any voice recording software that saves in MP3 format?

Don't think. Answer now!

famousdavis
01-09-2004, 04:35 AM
Any voice recording software that saves in MP3 format?

Don't think. Answer now!

Yes. Try SoundExplorer by Vito Technology. The latest release isn't perfect, but it's continually improving.

Pat Logsdon
01-09-2004, 04:49 AM
I dunno.... you didn't say please.....

:wink:

(try NoteM (http://www.geocities.com/zavorine/wince/mp3.htm), it's free.)

Vulcan
01-09-2004, 05:19 AM
I have been trying to get NoteM for awhile now...The guy hosts the download on Geocities :roll: and he is always over his bandwidth limit....some time ago somebody offered to mirror the download...Has that happened yet? Anybody got a link?

Steven Cedrone
01-09-2004, 05:25 AM
Not sure if it's the current version... (http://www.freewareppc.com/multimedia/notem.shtml)

Steve

Edit: Whoops, all links lead back to Geocities... :roll:

Edit again: This link to the .cab file works... (http://geocities.com/wincemp3/NoteM.PPC2003_ARM.CAB)

Vulcan
01-09-2004, 05:30 AM
Thanks...Got it now!

sublime
01-09-2004, 02:45 PM
The real reason I asked this question is because I have some tapes that I want to listen to on the PPC. I was thinking about playing them and recording them via voice recorder. Does anyone know a better way to do this instead?

famousdavis
01-09-2004, 03:35 PM
The real reason I asked this question is because I have some tapes that I want to listen to on the PPC. I was thinking about playing them and recording them via voice recorder. Does anyone know a better way to do this instead?

Buy CDs instead of tapes, then you can encode them into MP3, WMA, etc. :mrgreen:

Actually, I have a similar issue. It'd be nice to find a low-cost solution that quickly and easily transfers tape cassettes to a digital format. So let's hope someone comes along who isn't a smart--- and can give us both a good suggestion.

Sven Johannsen
01-09-2004, 05:21 PM
If you have a tape player with line out, that you can get to the line in of your sound card, both EZCD Creator and Plus Media Edition have software that is designed to capture/rip into a digital format. Plus Media Edition does .wma and I figure the EZCD gives more options. There is even some filtering built in and track recognition/separation. They are designed to pull music off of your tapes and albums (a term meaning record to us old folks). I'm sure there are other programs designed for this, but those are two I know of.

Busdriver
01-10-2004, 03:00 PM
What about this (http://www.resco-net.com/audiorec.asp)?

tanalasta
01-11-2004, 04:21 AM
What about this?
Busdriver's link points to resco audio recorder which is what i use. It's not the best but it also saves to mp3. Note that you need an xscale processor to be able to do this as ARM devices struggle to record/compress/create this files successfully.

Now since when has sublime demanded an answer.... hmmm.... ;) You do realise that recording tapes the way you suggest does compromise sound quailty so whilst voice may be okay, music would likely sound quite terrible. Also, these recording programs were designed as voice/note recorders... Sven's suggestion would be the ideal way of converting tapes to a digital format.

ctmagnus
01-11-2004, 04:29 AM
I tried this a on a PC a few years ago and had a heck of a time with it (Alanis's Too Hot era stuff :mrgreen: ). The audio was full of pops and EZCD Creator Pro v4x didn't work very well at cleaning it up. I still have the wavs on CDRW somewhere so maybe I'll try it again.

maximus
01-13-2004, 02:57 AM
ctmagnus
2000 posts and this is all I get?

Whoa. ha ha.

bilbo1969
01-25-2004, 05:58 PM
I'm a big fan of Audio Cleaning Lab 2004. I've been using ACL to clean up both my tape collection and some recordings off of the radio. There is a show I listen to religiously every Sunday night... ok, it's Dr.Demento ( I AM a geek ) and I simultaneously record it to CD on my stand-alone stereo component burner, inserting track marks during the talking and commercials ( I am SUCH a geek ). Then I pop the CD in my computer, copy the tracks to ACL, where it is little work to zap out the intros, commercials and seperate the songs. I can label the tracks with title and artist information and clean them seperately either manaully or automatically ( did I mention my geek status? ).

My only warning with this software is you only can convert twenty or so projects to MP3 format if that is your medium of choice. I need to transfer to WMA and then use Musicmatch Jukebox to convert to MP3. (GEEKGEEKGEEKGEEKGEEKGEEKGEEKGEEKGEEKGEEKGEEKGEEK)

You can get ACL for about $30 to $40 at Curcuit City or Best Buy

Don't try to record directly to PPC. The quality WILL suck.