View Full Version : Copying Word files without conversion

alienplantlife
01-09-2004, 12:06 AM
Is there anyway to copy Word files onto my 1945 without going through the ActiveSync conversion? I'd essentially like to use my PPC as an means of getting some files from work computer to home computer. I don't want Pocket Word messing with the file that I plan on working with only on the computers. Thank in advance.

Jeff Rutledge
01-09-2004, 12:10 AM
In ActiveSync, click the Options button, then the Rules tab. Then click the Conversion settings button. From there you can change the settings from Device to Desktop and vice-versa. If you wish, you can set any of these settings to No Conversion.

HTH.

Anthony Caruana
01-09-2004, 12:12 AM
Sure can. In Activesync, go to Options | Rules | Conversion Settings.

There is a global checkbox to enable/disable conversion on the General tab or you can go into the Device to Desktop and Desktop to Device tabs to set just Pocket Word/Word conversion options

alienplantlife
01-09-2004, 04:02 PM
Thank you both. I didn't realise it would be so easy and obvious! :oops:

Sven Johannsen
01-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Big caution here...

Even with no conversion set... If you inadvertantly make a change to the Word document while it is on the PPC, it will save that change and remove all other formatting that is incompatible with Pocket Word. When you sync it to your home PC it will be screwed up.

If you are using the PPC as a transfer mechanism, I would strongly recommend you zip your Word doc, and then copy it to your PPC. When you get home, copy it to your desktop and un-zip it.

Ripper014
01-09-2004, 11:46 PM
There is a very easy solution to that problem... do not use Pocket Word or Pocket Excel... in fact I would consider deleting the lnks off the pda. Stick with a more robust program such as Textmaker for Pocket Word... and until Planmaker is released... use SpreadCE for Excel...

Vincent M Ferrari
01-10-2004, 09:17 PM
Even easier solution: Use a card reader to transfer the files to a memory card rather than activesync OR zip the files first. Then open the zip at home. Activesync won't try to do anything to a zip file.