View Full Version : Pocket PCs: The Wi-Fi Generation

Jason Dunn
01-08-2004, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,113650,tk,mcx,00.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/arti...0,tk,mcx,00.asp</a><br /><br /></div>"Thinner, lighter, and as easy as possible to connect: That's the mantra Pocket PC vendors appear to be chanting--and trying to enforce--with mixed success on each new Wi-Fi-enabled handheld they produce. I looked at shipping units of three of the latest examples: two IPaqs from HP and a sturdy Dell Axim..."

jeasher
01-08-2004, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the link. I like how the reviewer is extolls the virtues of wi-fi and values it's inclusion, but I think he got his ratings wrong. The h4350 absolutely deserves a 4.5 or 5 rating. It offers something no other PPC offers (keyboard) and includes BT for good measure. It also has the largest capacity battery included with any PPC. Besides price and innovative wi-fi integration, what new ground does the x3i really cover?

powder2000
01-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Ya, I don't have one but he mentions that the 4150 is still difficult to set WiFi up with. Is this really true or does he have below average capabilities ( in the head :lol: )?

Pat Logsdon
01-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Ya, I don't have one but he mentions that the 4150 is still difficult to set WiFi up with. Is this really true or does he have below average capabilities ( in the head :lol: )?
Not true in my case. I was on this site, posting (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22674&highlight=), within 5 minutes of taking my 4150 out of the box. I don't use WEP, but still...I'd be curious to know exactly what he thought was difficult.

David Prahl
01-08-2004, 10:37 PM
Don't believe him! The X3i only has about 34 MB of "Built-In Storage" (Flash).

I'll have a review of the X3i posted soon. It's VERY easy to set up wifi - don't see how it could be any easier.

Anthony Caruana
01-09-2004, 12:08 AM
Having used both the 4150 and 4350 I can say that both are great devices. WiFi was easy to setup, the range was awesome and, in the case of the 4350, battery life was incredible. If I was buying a new device today, I'd be very serious about the 4150.

BobWitt
01-09-2004, 05:00 AM
I have the 4150, AM using 128 bit WEP, and also was up and running at home in &lt; 5 Minutes...

I had the WEP key in my contacts list, and cut and pasted when prompted!

I tried to connect to a network at work which had 64 bit WEP, and could not, which brings me to another comment in this article...

They say the Dell has a different configuration utility - does anyone know who it is by or if it is available on the open market? Although Zero Configuration may at times work, it would be nice to have access to a more in-depth configuration capability...

BobWitt

Thinkingmandavid
01-09-2004, 07:05 AM
The 4155 is easy to set up, we set it up at work with wi fi and there is nothing to it, so I do not know why this guy printed that.
Sometimes I wonder if people just make things difficult for themselves. :wink:

It is unusual for us to have a problem at work with our wi fi connection. Usually, when it is not working it is because someone turned off 'Ipaq wireless', or stopped all the programs and did not leave the wi fi running. Not a big deal.

David Prahl
01-09-2004, 05:45 PM
How to connect an X3i to a network:

-Push the WiFi Hardware button on the front.
-Wait 10-30 seconds
-Hit "connect" when it asks if you want to connect to a hotspot.

You can also do some in-depth stuff - I'll have that in my review.

jeasher
01-09-2004, 08:40 PM
How to connect an X3i to a network:

-Push the WiFi Hardware button on the front.
-Wait 10-30 seconds
-Hit "connect" when it asks if you want to connect to a hotspot.

You can also do some in-depth stuff - I'll have that in my review.

How to connect a 4000 series iPAQ to a network:

1. Go to start menu, open iPAQ Wireless utility.
2. Click Wi-Fi on.
3. Wait 10-30 seconds.
4. Click "connect" when it asks if you want to connect to a hotspot.

Not much difference there. One is a hardware switch, the other is software.

Anthony Caruana
01-10-2004, 01:41 AM
Not much difference there. One is a hardware switch, the other is software.

And that, I think, was the big difference for that reviewer. I'll admit that pushing a button is easy, but I don't think that a software switch is all that difficult either.