View Full Version : Pumatech unveils plans for Personal SyncNet Architecture

Jason Dunn
01-08-2004, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pumatech.com/press_releases/010804b.html' target='_blank'>http://www.pumatech.com/press_relea...es/010804b.html</a><br /><br /></div>"Pumatech, Inc. a leading provider of synchronization and mobilization software, today announced its vision for future products that will allow users to synchronize, access, share and manage digital information across a personal network of computers, consumer electronics and mobile devices. Pumatech's Personal SyncNet™ Architecture is intended to help users effectively manage the increasing amounts of digital information they create and acquire daily, including music, photos, videos, address books, e-mail, PIM data, office documents and streamed information from home electronics and appliances. In addition, SyncNet will be designed to enable consumers to manage information on home appliances by remotely checking their status and updating their programmed settings. Another significant feature of SyncNet will be its ability to enable information sharing among trusted friends, family and colleagues, using the Internet as a secure, always-on transport mechanism."<br /><br />Sounds impressive, but as always, I wonder what it will look like in practise - who will adopt it? How will it function? Will it be officially supported? I've been thinking about synchronization a lot lately, because having a Pocket PC + Smartphone + desktop + laptop and trying to sync content between them all is a royal pain. Pumatech's press release has more details - what do you think? Will anything come of this?

alienplantlife
01-08-2004, 08:56 PM
I've been thinking about synchronization a lot lately, because having a Pocket PC + Smartphone + desktop + laptop and trying to sync content between them all is a royal pain.

I've recently acquired an iPaq1945 and a Nokia 3650 in addition to the home and work computers that I've had for some time. I have yet to find a very satisfying sync method/system. I find it interesting that Pumatech is proposing a system that might sync your fridge with your computer when we still don't have something that will sync two different (not directly connected) computers.

Would anyone like to share their sync strategies?