View Full Version : a question about .NET

Kowalski
01-08-2004, 11:57 AM
i've been using Visual studio 6.0 heavily a couple of years.
i installed visual studio .net and gave it a chance but i came complex at first sight. so i continued my way with VC 6.0
but now it seems that microsoft will abandon VC and force us to use .NET!!

now here is the question: what are the cool features .NET have and VC 6.0 doesnt and why would i move to .NET.
what will .NET bring to our lives
do you think all we are forced to move to .NET

Mike Temporale
01-25-2004, 03:39 PM
It may seem a little overwhelming at first, but it won't take long for you to get up to speed. It's worth it in the long run.

.NET has many advatages: CLR, Managed Code, Web Services, Mobile Internet Toolkit, .NET CF, etc...

Here's a link to the product info including 10 reasons to upgrade:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/productinfo/default.aspx

Kowalski
01-25-2004, 08:31 PM
microsft is forcing us to go to .net platform. i like visual studio. simple and effective. at first .net came complex to me and the idea of managed code is one thing that i dont like. i dont like the feeling that my code will run on an interpreter than actual machine code.

Janak Parekh
01-25-2004, 08:43 PM
microsft is forcing us to go to .net platform.
That's not entirely true. VS .Net has full support for unmanaged C++ code, and will do so for the foreseeable future, as even Microsoft itself has waay too much legacy code to convert to C#. I know several people who use it as an updated VC++ solution.

--janak

Kowalski
01-25-2004, 10:52 PM
i hate visual basic and because c# has many similarities i hate it too! i want my visual studio back!!! (maybe 7.0 would be nice)

Janak Parekh
01-25-2004, 11:30 PM
i hate visual basic and because c# has many similarities i hate it too!
C# is not really the same as VB. It's much more similar to Java.

i want my visual studio back!!! (maybe 7.0 would be nice)
"VS 7.0" is VS .Net (the old version). ;) VS .Net 2003 is an update. It handles VB, C#, C++, J#, etc.

--janak

Kowalski
01-27-2004, 03:59 PM
i want my visual studio back!!! (maybe 7.0 would be nice)

what i mean by saying this was i want the good old VC6.0 environment and user interface but some improvements in code generator and class wizard. i wish that class wizard to be more powerfull because i like MFC and use alot