View Full Version : HP 5555 vs. 4135 and hanging between screens..does internal memory size matter?

SLewis
01-08-2004, 01:35 AM
I am trying to decide which Pocket PC to get. I think that I have it narrowed down to one of three: HP 5555, HP 4135, or HP 4355.

My question is whether or not the added internal memory size of the HP 5555 with 128 MB will allow for faster operation when several programs are open versus the 64 MB on the other two models I noted. Do you have have any advice?

I have been demo-ing a 4135, however it gets bogged down when I am tring to access larger databases and have more than one program running at the same time. Will the larger internal memory make a difference?

Thanks for your help.
S.Lewis

Bladefree21
01-08-2004, 02:45 AM
I am trying to decide which Pocket PC to get. I think that I have it narrowed down to one of three: HP 5555, HP 4135, or HP 4355.

My question is whether or not the added internal memory size of the HP 5555 with 128 MB will allow for faster operation when several programs are open versus the 64 MB on the other two models I noted. Do you have have any advice?

I have been demo-ing a 4135, however it gets bogged down when I am tring to access larger databases and have more than one program running at the same time. Will the larger internal memory make a difference?

Thanks for your help.
S.Lewis

From my limited experience....

It's not uncommon for me to run Pharos Ostia with several maps connected via bluetooth to GPS, and have MSReader play Audible files. I have not experienced any hanging with this scenario. There is a 1-2 second initial loading time for the maps. After that it just hums along. It appears if programs are installed to main memory and their data files are on storage media (ex. Pharos Ostia, main memory; maps SD card) hanging seems to be a rarity. That is where the internal memory is of benefit in my opinion. Frequently, more programs are open than on previous PDA's, but Windows Mobile 2003 was not on them. So, of course a few more opinions would not hurt :wink:

that_kid
01-08-2004, 03:08 AM
I keep looking at the 4155 and keep trying to convice myself that I can live with the lower memeory but I have about 35 megs programs installed and I do a great deal of multitasking so it's not a surpise to see the sytem using 25 megs of ram and after all this I still have a good chunk left. If I get the 4155 I would have to send it to ppc techs and have them upgrade it to 128 so I just sticked with the 5555 plus the screen size is great. I have to say that video performance on the 4155 is slightly better than the 5555.

SLewis
01-08-2004, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I wish the newer form function groovy PocketPc's had 128 MB's. I also do a lot of multitasking with drug reference guides and clinical diagnostic guides (med. school aids) and it seems to eat-up all the memory, though the programs are all saved to the storage card.

The HP4155 sure would fit nicer in my pocket but I guess the added size of the HP5555 is the price you pay for more internal memory. Thanks for your feedback! If anyone else has an opinion on this I would love to hear it.

Is there a download for a "switcher" program like the Dell Axim has that allows you to readily shut down programs? Most programs continue to run even if you click the "X" in the top right corner of the page.

Thanks.
S.Lewis

rugerx
01-08-2004, 06:11 PM
I have a 4155 and a 128 MB add on SD card.
I run apps from the SD card and main memory at the same time.
Typical loadout for me is wifi on, IE, AOL IM, Outlook 2003 ppc, resco, custom today theme, magic button, power meter, and I have no lag probs.

Just my 2 cents.

shawnc
01-08-2004, 06:39 PM
The only issue I have with my 4155 is how long it takes to load MS Reader. However, my hunch is that this has less to do with the speed of the 4155 and everything to do with the fact that all of my ebooks are loaded on my sandisk sd card. It takes a few seconds to open any of my books. Once the book is opened, the performance is on par with all of my other applications. This thing flies.

Having said that, I will likely upgrade to 128MB in a few months. The extra memory will be nice. But I want to wait a little while since this process voids any warrantly from HP.

Is there a download for a "switcher" program like the Dell Axim has that allows you to readily shut down programs? Most programs continue to run even if you click the "X" in the top right corner of the page.

Thanks.
S.Lewis

There are quite a few app's that will do this for you. My favorite is a freebe from Trancreative.

www.trancreative.com/mb.aspx

Gavin Henriques
01-08-2004, 07:42 PM

The iPAQ's(2200,4000,3000 and 5000 series) come with a built-in task switcher and close application which is mapped to one of the buttons called itask.

SLewis
01-09-2004, 04:15 AM
I appreciate the advice and input from all of you. Thanks

Kowalski
01-09-2004, 05:52 PM

i've tried a couple of programs and i found that wisbar advanced is the best for me. free, simple and powerfull.

and i agree that itasks is a good program too. give it a try. the menus are custom so you can define your favorite programs and internal functions such as close application or screen brightness and access them easly