View Full Version : Are the Axim X3 basic 32 mb of ram enough for a PPC ??

Draculaaa
01-07-2004, 11:17 PM
Hi Guys,

I've been shopping for my first PocketPC and had narrowed my choice to a Toshiba, but now I'm considering the Axim X3 as an option since it looks like a better deal due to quality and specs. The problem is that with my budget I can only afford the X3 basic with 32 megs of ram and the 300 mhz processor.

I'm new to the PPC world, is the 32 megs of RAM enough for PPC??

I'm planning to get a 128 mb SD card but I don't know if the 32 of megs of ram will limit the use of the PDA in any way, I mean will I be able to run all types of programs, games, etc with only 32 mb of ram?

Thanks in advance.

Drac.

baker
01-08-2004, 03:03 AM
What are your reasons for using your device? If it is simply PIM then the answer is yes. I have an e310 that only has 32 meg. I load books, family photos and documents for work on a 128 meg storage card. It's fine as long as I shut down most of what I'm not using at the time. In other words, multitasking isn't too good for me at 32 meg. It's slow sometimes loading a few things. I've had mine for almost two years and the more I use it, the more I want to put on it to expand it's usefulness. For my use, I'd take a slower chip with more RAM. Your needs (and opinions) may dictate otherwise.

PetiteFlower
01-08-2004, 07:19 PM
I get along ok with my X5/32 megs. I wish I had more sometimes but it's certainly perfectly usable, I can use Pocket Nester with no problems(25fps on 200mh setting, 30 on 300mh) and I was even able to watch movies with it, using Pocket MVP. Unless you're a total power user(I'd say I'm a medium power user) then you'll probably be fine with the 32 megs, especially if this is your first ppc.

minimage
01-08-2004, 11:47 PM
When I lost all common sense and bought a PPC, I decided to opt for the 64mb model, instead of the 32mb model, because I'd recently purchased (and exceeded the capacity of) a 16mb WinCE PIM, which was to replace my 2mb Palm, which wasn't enough. I didn't want to leave any room for "Oh, I wish I'd gotten more--oops, how did I end up in CompUSA? Who put this IPAQ in my hands?" I figured I would have a better chance of not spending any more money if I just got the best available right then and there. So far, it's sort of working well; I haven't bought any more handhelds, but 1 wireless card, 2 CF storage cards and 3 SD storage cards later...Hey, I still can't say "I wish I'd bought that 128mb model," because I don't know if one even exists. The VGA PDA and smartphone issue is another story, but I can resist that temptation for at least a year.

You see what I mean? I've got a 128mb CF card and a 256mb SD card...and I'm running out of space. Of course, if you're not going to download books (including audiobooks) and book readers, offline content (like from Avantgo or HandStory), great games (like Scrabble, ShadowGate Classic or Warfare, Inc.), better web browsers, word-processing programs, file explorers, GUIs, songs, 5 to 10 megabytes of mail, etc, then 32mb ought to be enough. If you're the serious type, and only want something to help you manage your affairs, while playing a little solitaire or minesweep a couple of times a month, 32mb ought to be plenty, IMHO.

Draculaaa
01-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Hello Guys!!!!

Thanks all for replying. After much thought and investigation I went by the Toshiba e405 road, let's just hope I won't regret it later :roll:

What put me off the Dell X3 was the long shipping time that Dell offers their PDA, due to the fact that they "build" the machine after the order. Since my dad will be returning from the US (to Venezuela) next thursday, I needed something that could arrive before then. Unfortunately Dell offered an estimated shipping date of Jan 12, meaning that I would've to pay for overnite shipping to take no risks.

Well I just hope that I made the right choice. On paper the Toshiba looks better, we'll see if it's for real.

P.S: Thanks for making me laugh with your comment and the TabletPC prayer. : )

Thanks

Drac

minimage
01-09-2004, 08:28 PM
:D

I made someone laugh. I'm thrilled!

:D :D :D

PetiteFlower
01-09-2004, 11:35 PM
Yeah, Dell USUALLY ships orders before their estimated shipping dates but not all the time. So if you're on a strict time limit, then it's best to buy from a physical store :)