View Full Version : "The following Recipients are invalid" on Outbound email

jvcrabb
01-07-2004, 10:37 PM
I have been having a problem for some time and was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction. I searched the forums and could not find a post on this topic so if this is a duplicate post I apologize.

I receive this message when sending emails to recipients on a different email server for example: [email protected] sending to [email protected]

The message is as follows:
Subject: Invalid message recipients
Sent: date and time

Your message 'message title' was not sent and has been moved to the Drafts folder.

The following recipients are invalid:

[email protected]

I have 4 (yes 4 not counting hotmail) email accounts that I access on my Pocket PC. 2 are on Exchange servers and 2 are on pop servers. I can send email to people on the same email server (@work will send to @work). I am an IT contractor so I am usually on the customers wireless network using my customer supplied email account but on occasion I will need to interact with clients using my company email account. I have managed to be able to send from the customer site to the company email server but I cannot reply to that email. I have checked the "Outgoing e-mail server requires authentication" in the account options on the pocket pc and this helped me in sending from the customer supplied email account to the company email account. I set up the company account the same way on my Pocket PC but no joy. The Customer and company emails are both Exchange but the problem is also found on the 2 POP accounts as well. I can send to the POP accounts but it won't let me reply nor can I email anyone from my contacts.

I am not sure if it has to do with me being on a specific network or what.

OK Whew :wink: , that is a start at least. I hope thise makes sense to everyone, I re-read it and it is clear to me but if I need to clarify something let me know.

BTW I am using a WM 2003 device. No other netorking issues, just email.

Janak Parekh
01-08-2004, 04:10 AM
First off, I assume you use Outlook on the desktop in Exchange Server mode. What I'd suggest you do is to configure Outlook Express on the desktop the same way you did as on your Pocket PC (e.g., presumably IMAP?), and make sure it's working there first. That'll eliminate whether or not it's a Pocket PC-specific problem or an Exchange and/or client configuration issue.

(In case you're curious, Outlook Express more resembles the Pocket PC's Inbox client than Outlook, especially if Outlook is in Exchange MAPI mode.)

--janak

jvcrabb
01-08-2004, 01:31 PM
Yes it does work in Outlook Express. As a test I went home and tried the ISP account (POP) sending to my hotmail account. It would not work on the customer's netowrk but it does work on my wireless network at home. I feel it may be some under lying authentication issue. But I am guessing.

Janak Parekh
01-08-2004, 05:14 PM
What are you using for SMTP server setting?

--janak

jvcrabb
01-08-2004, 06:59 PM
What program are you referring to? For all of my accounts the outgoing and incoming server are the same. Is that what youe mean? If you are tlaking about the server settings, I do not have access to that.

jvcrabb
01-08-2004, 07:01 PM
As a test I went home and tried the ISP account (POP) sending to my hotmail account. It would not work on the customer's netowrk but it does work on my wireless network at home. I feel it may be some under lying authentication issue. But I am guessing.

If you are referring to this statment I should have mentioned that this test was done on the Pocket PC. I don't have any issues in retrieving my email on the PC.

Janak Parekh
01-08-2004, 11:15 PM
What program are you referring to? For all of my accounts the outgoing and incoming server are the same. Is that what youe mean?
Yes. SMTP server == Outgoing server.

Here's the problem: if your SMTP server is not set up to accept authentication, and it's not part of the network you're connecting your Pocket PC through, it will refuse to send email to any outside network.

An example: you're using your company's server. However, you're accessing it from outside your company's network. Unless it's specifically configured to support this, it will prevent you from relaying mail through it to other third-party networks. It will only accept connections for "local delivery", i.e., email addresses within the company. This seems to match your symptoms.

To solve this, you have to find out if the Outgoing server is set for SMTP authentication, and if it's not, either to get it turned on or use a different SMTP server, one that's established with the network you're using.

This happens because SMTP works very differently from POP or IMAP in terms of deciding who is a "legitimate user" that should send email.

--janak

jvcrabb
01-09-2004, 01:15 AM
Interesting...I'll have to talk to the internal support team to see if this is something they are willing to do. Thanks for the help.