View Full Version : Socket Announces First Battery-Powered Cordless Modem for PDAs and Notebooks

Jason Dunn
01-07-2004, 06:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.socketcom.com/about/press/read.asp?ID=115' target='_blank'>http://www.socketcom.com/about/pres...read.asp?ID=115</a><br /><br /></div>"Socket Communications, Inc. the Mobile Connection™ Company, today announced the first battery-powered cordless 56K modem for PDAs. The Socket Cordless 56K Modem with Bluetooth® Wireless Technology allows users the freedom and mobility to access the Internet or email through a telephone from any Bluetooth enabled device that supports a Dial-Up Networking (DUN) profile, such as Pocket PCs, Windows notebooks, and Palm devices – without having to be tethered to an analog phone line and electrical outlet."<br /><br />Somehow the idea of a 56K modem seems quaint, but then again, I don't travel as much as I used to and I can remember checking my email over a 14.4 CDPD connection because there was simply no other way. And being able to hook up the Bluetooth modem in a corner of the room near a phone jack and use a Bluetooth Pocket PC or laptop to get your email is a very compelling scenario compared to carrying a long phone cord with you. $129 USD is a reasonable price as well.

Jeff Rutledge
01-07-2004, 06:32 PM
Actually, if I didn't have a BT GPRS phone with data, this would be a great solution for me when I travel. I like the idea of being unhindered by wires in the hotel room.

Still, the speed would be frustrating...

Jason Dunn
01-07-2004, 06:49 PM

It would be faster than GPRS! :lol:

Jeff Rutledge
01-07-2004, 07:21 PM

It would be faster than GPRS! :lol:

Sorry, I guess I was expecting y'all to read my mind. I usually use my laptop and connect to the high speed ethernet connection in the hotel room. I was comparing to that.

Now is Socket created something similar to this modem, but it was a portable WiFi connector... 8)

Jason Dunn
01-07-2004, 07:27 PM
Sorry, I guess I was expecting y'all to read my mind. I usually use my laptop and connect to the high speed ethernet connection in the hotel room. I was comparing to that. Now is Socket created something similar to this modem, but it was a portable WiFi connector... 8)

Ah, yes, I know what you mean. Well, there are some pretty tiny wireless access points on the market - you could always carry one with you. I did that once at a hotel - it was pretty sweet. :mrgreen:

Jeff Rutledge
01-07-2004, 07:35 PM
Sorry, I guess I was expecting y'all to read my mind. I usually use my laptop and connect to the high speed ethernet connection in the hotel room. I was comparing to that. Now is Socket created something similar to this modem, but it was a portable WiFi connector... 8)

Ah, yes, I know what you mean. Well, there are some pretty tiny wireless access points on the market - you could always carry one with you. I did that once at a hotel - it was pretty sweet. :mrgreen:

Not a bad idea. Do you remember any of the models you've seen on the smaller side?

DerekTheGeek
01-07-2004, 07:38 PM
I think your getting spoiled Jason. 8O

Lot's of us including myself are in areas where GSM/GPRS is not a reliable choice. For us Verizon CDMA is the only choice and they have yet to offer an integrated Bluetooth phone that work beyond 1.4 KB/s. Yes I am aware that the i700 exists but ,without Bluetooth, a slow processor, and a size that would make Mama Cass cringe.

- Derek

Jason Dunn
01-07-2004, 07:43 PM
I think your getting spoiled Jason. 8O

Yes, that's entirely possible. :lol:

Sven Johannsen
01-07-2004, 07:44 PM
Neat, but you can get a Zoom 4300 BT modem for around $75 today. It has to be plugged into AC, but if you are cabling to a phone wall jack, you likely have an outlet nearby.

What I'd really like to see is an SDIO modem and/or NIC.

adamz
01-07-2004, 08:41 PM
Neat, but you can get a Zoom 4300 BT modem for around $75 today. It has to be plugged into AC, but if you are cabling to a phone wall jack, you likely have an outlet nearby.

But who want's to carry around another AC adapter?! It's much easier to just find a POT phone line, slap on the Bluetooth modem and dial out to your ISP. Finding an AVAILABLE nearby outlet and stringing the cords around is a whole nother issue.

Sven Johannsen
01-07-2004, 11:38 PM

But who want's to carry around another AC adapter?! It's much easier to just find a POT phone line, slap on the Bluetooth modem and dial out to your ISP. Finding an AVAILABLE nearby outlet and stringing the cords around is a whole nother issue.

Agreed, but I figure this is most useful in a travel scenario, where I have chargers for my PPC, Cell Phone, MP3 player, camera, etc. anyway. One more won't hurt ;). With any luck the Zoom one is 5v and the connector is the same as my PPC (fat chance). Be nice if Socket did that for their rechargeable one. They did that on their BT GPS..takes the same adapter as my iPaq or Dell. For $50, I can find an outlet. If you are travelling, you'll need the wall wart to recharge the Socket anyway.

ctmagnus
01-08-2004, 01:00 AM
Well, there are some pretty tiny wireless access points on the market - you could always carry one with you. I did that once at a hotel - it was pretty sweet. :mrgreen:

Not a bad idea. Do you remember any of the models you've seen on the smaller side?

I repeat JR's question: Do you remember any of the models you've seen on the smaller side? ;)

Jason Dunn
01-08-2004, 01:08 AM
I repeat JR's question: Do you remember any of the models you've seen on the smaller side? ;)

I have a Dlink one that's pretty small. There are a few different models here: http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=1

Kevin Daly
01-08-2004, 01:10 AM
Actually, I'm somewhat perplexed as to how they come to be calling this the first battery-powered 56K cordless modem for PDAs....
I still have (although I no longer use) the 56K Psion IRDA Travel Modem that I bought for my old Jornada 545 back in 2000. Uses batteries.
While a Bluetooth modem is obviously a great improvement, that particular claim appears to be a little careless.
0X