View Full Version : 512M SD Card HELP!

cragmonkey
01-07-2004, 06:11 AM
I have an iPAQ 4155 and a SanDisk 512M SD card. It has been working fine up until last night and all of a sudden my PPC and my desktop do not see it at all. I tried formatting the card but get an error that says something about not being able to complete formatting (error 0). I called SanDisk and they were less that helpful about the situation. I am turning to my PPC community for any help on this situation. I'm about to cry cuz my 512 card is brand new and cost plenty of dough and now it doesn't work. :cry:

tanalasta
01-07-2004, 07:03 AM
Oh dear... you did keep the original receipt right? Sandisk cards all come with a warranty. Well, what are you using to format your card given that your desktop/ppc can't read it? You could try it in a digital camera but its a long shot....

I'd advise you to take the card back if you can. :evil:

cmlpreston
01-07-2004, 07:56 AM
Sandisk SD card? Perhaps you should have taken your own advice?

Fast, Reliable, Cheap. Pick 2.

cmlp

Barak
01-07-2004, 01:45 PM
Not that this is going to make you feel better, but the same thing happened to me when I had a Casio E-200 and Sandisk 512 SD card.

I ended up having to hard reset my device and reformat the card to get it to be recognized.

Since then, I switched to Kingston 512 SD card for my HP 4355 and it works like a charm 0X

cragmonkey
01-08-2004, 01:44 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys. At least now I have somewhere to go. FYI- warranties are void if you buy off ebay. Even if it is brand spanking new. Totally lame but I guess SanDisk has to cover their perverbial @$$ somehow.

maikii
01-09-2004, 07:04 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys. At least now I have somewhere to go. FYI- warranties are void if you buy off ebay. Even if it is brand spanking new. Totally lame but I guess SanDisk has to cover their perverbial @$$ somehow.

I had two Sandisk 256 MB cards go bad (one in PPC, the other in digicam) about the same time. I called Sandisk about it, sent it to them, and they sent me two new ones. (It took a couple weeks though.) I don't think I had to send a receipt, don't recall.

maikii
01-09-2004, 07:06 AM

A lot of the sellers on Ebay who sell new electronic goods are stores, different from individuals selling their used stuff. Their receipt will have the store name, and probably will say nothing about Ebay. If you need to send a receipt to verify purchase date, there's really no need to mention Ebay.

tanalasta
01-11-2004, 04:56 AM

Yes, most places that sell these cards on ebay are stores as someone mentioned earlier... Also, if you contact the seller with your problem, if they are reputable, they can either send you a receipt (of their store) or arrange an exchange if you return the cards (postage should be quite cheap).

Seeing that I'm sure sandisk has different reps, it'd be worth it calling them again but neglecting to mention where you purchased it from... just tell them that the SD card you bought spanking new stopped working and you want a new one - be specific :) Reformatting the card may work but not only do you lose all your data, it may happen again :(

maximus
01-13-2004, 02:54 AM
If you have a digital camera, try formatting the SD card on it. I once have that same error message, and magically my minolta dimage F300 fixed it.

Basically, what happened is, I was copying files from my PC into the SD card using a 6-in-1 flash reader, and somehow dropped the flash reader while it is still writing. The SD card was thrown out of the reader, and when I tried to resume, it gave me the error 0 message. Insert it in my F300. Problem solved.

Oeryk
01-23-2004, 01:37 AM
I had the same thing happen to a 128 SanDisk SD. I was copying files using a 6in1 reader and pulled it out without properly unmounting it. Now, no workie. I will try the camera fix if I can find one that accepts SDs. Does anyone know of any problems like this with their CF cards? I also have a 512 CF! =(

ctmagnus
01-23-2004, 03:35 AM
fwiw, I've had a few problems with my 256MB Sandisk SD card.

What happens is, every once in a while, I plug my Lexar 6/7/8-in-1 reader in, wait a while for the CPU to calm down (If I stick the card in immediately, the following symptoms occur without fail) then stick my card in. Then i fire up Windows Explorer, click on the drive and Explorer hangs. If I then pull the card out Explorer starts responding agian. When this happens, the only thing I can do is reboot, reformat the card and copy everything that was on it back to it (I've started making meticulouis backups of the card because of this, however I only have two directories to drag onto it as the data remains fairly static and I backup any files that I change on it to one of these two directories). Otherwise I will eventually experience a glitchy WMA or a Reader file that won't open.

Dave Potter
01-23-2004, 04:05 AM
I had the exact same error message with a 256 MB Sandisk SD card. I tried all the same things that have been mentioned in this thread. In the end, the card was defective and had to be replaced (under warranty). Replacement took about 5 days - which surprised the hell out of me since I am in Canada and Sandisk is in the USA.

Your situation sounds all too familiar. Sorry!

Oeryk
01-23-2004, 03:36 PM
:cry:

Well, I went by CompUSA last night and got permission to "borrow" their digital cameras. The guy that helped me tried 3 different cameras. He inserted my SD card and attempted to format it. It looked like it was working, but whenever I would insert it into my iPAQ, it still did not work.

It "sees" the card, but one of two things happens. First, it sometimes mirrors the free space on my CF card (If I have 20 megs free on the CF, the SD says it has 20 megs free). Secondly, it sometimes (for an unknown reason) says that I have 2.14 GB free!!!! I WISH!

Anyhow, I have not heard back from SanDisk support as of yet. I am probably out of luck. :evil:

maikii
01-24-2004, 10:17 PM
I had two 256 MB Sandisk SD cards go bad (one in my camera, one in PPC), within a couple weeks of each other. Sandisk sent me replacement new ones for both.

I don't really know if the problem is just with Sandisk (which is a major reputable flash memory company, I believe they once were part of IBM), or with the SD format in general. It might be just that more people have the Sandisk cards. (I would guess that Sandisk sells far more SD cards than any other company.)

Recently I had a different problem with the replacement SD card in my PPC (IPAQ 2210). I lost it! I have no idea where it is, and have not been able to find it in weeks. I don't think I took it out and misplaced it. Sometimes, for no explicable reason, the SD card in my IPAQ pops out. When I notice it, I push it back in. I would guess, that the time I lost the card it popped out somewhere (other than home), I didn't notice it, and lost it.

I bought a 512 MB Kingston SD card to replace it. I hope I don't lose that somewhere also!

I think there are some problems with the SD format, and therefore am not happy to see that the newer IPAQs (since the 2210) all have no CF card slot (I never had a CF card fall out!), and only one SD card slot! That's a different discussion, but I think a big mistake on HP's part. I really wonder if Panasonic (makers of SD) is giving some kind of financial incentive to companies to switch to SD, and drop other memory slots.

By the way though, I have had no problems switching SD cards between PPC, camera, and computer.

bobyeo
01-27-2004, 04:25 PM
Had the same problem with my er.. cheap 128Mb CF card.
Died on me in the middle of keying in data.
Coldn't format had to throw away....

Could it possibly be that I had disable power to it from my Jornada 568 setting?

Do we need to keep a contant current to protect data on the CF card?