View Full Version : Spyware on PPC?

carrigaline
01-06-2004, 10:23 PM
I use Adaware to remove spyware from my laptop and I was just wondering - what happens with spyware on the PPC? Does it even get on PPCs?

If you delete cookies and temporary files does that get rid of everything on the PPC - as it certainly doesn't on Windows XP.

If spyware gets into the registry files or whatever the PPC has like in XP how do we clean it out? Is there any software out there for that?

Excuse my ignorance if I have stated anything dumb above!

Thanks.

Jason Dunn
01-06-2004, 10:49 PM
I have yet to see any evidence of any spyware on a Pocket PC, so I don't think you have anything to worry about. A cookie from a Web site isn't "spyware" - we use cookies here to track you login, what posts you've read, etc. Cookies are for the most part quite benign.

carrigaline
01-06-2004, 11:00 PM
Thanks Jason - I have no problem with legit cookies like your ones - its the other nasty kind that we all have to be aware of.

It would be great if some of the more technically gifted amongst us (certainly not me) could add to Jason's good point - in terms of why spyware does not work on a PPC in the same way or at all - if that is the case?

Looking forward to reading more thoughts on this important security issue.

Thanks.

Janak Parekh
01-06-2004, 11:02 PM
It would be great if some of the more technically gifted amongst us (certainly not me) could add to Jason's good point - in terms of why spyware does not work on a PPC in the same way or at all - if that is the case?
In short, existing spyware as on PCs won't work on a Pocket PC as a Pocket PC is a different processor and operating system. It's the same reason desktop viruses won't run on Pocket PCs. You'd have to write specific viruses/spyware for Pocket PCs, and the market is too small to justify this. If it ever gets sufficiently large, then yes, we'll have to have antispyware and antivirus tools for Pocket PCs.

--janak

carrigaline
01-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Thanks guys - you are great.