View Full Version : New Pocket PC User Needs Help re Moving Files

zaj
01-05-2004, 07:13 PM
I just graduated from a Palm device to an iPAQ 1940. I am very excited, but have one question that is probably really simple--how does one move a program from one folder to another? In Palm, there was a "category" page you could go to. I just can't figure it out. Thanks in advance!

Air
01-06-2004, 04:00 AM
what do you mean program? installation folder or just moving around icons launcher in categories?

if you want to do the second one (ie. moving the short cut around) go to:

.../windows/Start Menu/...

you can do it in the handheld or via Active sync.

then just create folder, or move icons around as you do in desktop. (but if in the future you uninstal the applications you have to erase the icon manually, a minor inconvinient. But there is also freebie utilities such as 'remover' to take care of forgotten dangling icons.)

to do the first one it's a bit more complicated. I suggest you just let the instalation apps installed in location they created.

tanalasta
01-06-2004, 04:44 AM
If you mean program as in .exe files then just use file explorer to cut/copy/paste. However note that this will render the program's default shortcut icons inoperable and these will also have to be manually redone. Note that this may also not work for programs that are more than just one .exe file... you may have to move/rename the entire directory.

As a rule of thumb, apart from choosing whether to install onto a storage card or in device RAM, use the default settings.

Chin0z
01-07-2004, 03:39 PM
Go to File Explorer, <The Folder You Wanna Transfer>, Cut, <Wherever You Wanna Paste It>, Paste. Remember to re-paste the shortcuts (if there are any)