View Full Version : Ready to buy 512 of SD Memory, which card?

Kenyatta
01-05-2004, 04:45 AM
I have an iPAQ 4155 and would like your opinion of which 512 SD Memory card to purchase and why? Additionally, what are the benefits of faster read speeds of 10 MB/s? …and finally why do I not see anyone mentioning the manufactures of PC memory i.e.…Viking or Kingston?

Crazie.Eddie
01-05-2004, 09:54 AM
Benefits of faster read speeds? MP3s, MPG's, or other type of videos.

I used a Sandisk myself. Had had no problems with it.

What do you mean that nobody mentions anything about PC memory? I'm not sure what it relates to the pocket PC?

ChristopherTD
01-05-2004, 10:00 AM
I have a Kingston 512MB SD Card and it works reliably (as much as I can say after 1 month).

Read speeds are good, but write, particularly of small files, is slow. Performance seems on a par with my previous 256MB HP SD Card.

Mark_Venture
01-06-2004, 12:18 AM
I have an iPAQ 4155 and would like your opinion of which 512 SD Memory card to purchase and why? There are a few threads here about SD memory speeds... See... http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22746&highlight= and the links to other threads I put in there.

I got my first PocketPC back in July... I picked up a SanDisk 256Meg SD because it was the only brand on the shelf and I didn't know any better. I'm not saying the SanDisk I got is junk, just that it is SLOWER. Over the past few months, I have been researching this a little.

Ya see, To save on the built in memory, I put everything I could on the SD card (it stays in my iPAQ all the time.). I had a shopping list program that seemed slow, but I just thought it was the program...

Recently I've tweaked the registry to store the Avantgo Data and temp internet files on the SD card too. That is when I really noticed a difference. The Avantgo pages would load a LOT slower than when the Avantgo stuff was in main memory. So I wanted to find out what was the cause...

After reading a few messages on various forums, I decied to pick up a Lexar. Compusa had a 256Meg for $59 after instant rebate. Cheaper than the SanDisks.... This Lexar is FASTER than the SanDisk.

…Additionally, what are the benefits of faster read speeds of 10 MB/s?

While in the PocketPC, not really sure. One of those links I posted, some one said that the Ultra II SDs (10MB/s) cards were aimed more for digital cameras, but it will also help PocketPCs. Another person also bench marked his Ultra II SD against the others he had. Take a look at his results and see if you feel its worth the added price. To me its not... i.e. off the shelf prices of $59 for this 256Meg Lexar (bench marks at 6MB/s) vs $119 for a 256 Meg Sandisk Ultra II (rated at 10MB/s).

…and finally why do I not see anyone mentioning the manufactures of PC memory i.e.…Viking or Kingston? Could be becuase of whats in the store... I haven't really seen Viking and Kingston cards in many stores. Mostly mail order. Walk into Circuit City, Best Buy, Staples, Office Max, etc and you will find SanDisk, not much else. Go to Compusa, you'll see Sandisk, Lexar and a few others.

ironguy
01-06-2004, 04:32 PM
ecost had the Kingston SD 512mb card for $139.99 with a $10 rebate. I've used Kingston memory products for years with no problems. I currently have a 256mb cf card in my 2215 that I also used in my HP568 and my HP548. It's 4 years old and I've never had a problem.