View Full Version : Registry Hacks?

nosmohtac
01-05-2004, 02:56 AM
I'm looking for a couple of hacks. First, I would like to change the location that Laridian Bible uses to store user data. The default location is in the My Documents folder in the root directory, but I don't see this in the registry settings. The other one is how to store temporary internet files on a storage card. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if it makes much difference, but I'm trying to do this on an e805

nosmohtac
01-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Oh, I almost forgot another one. I wanted to figure out how to change the registry settings so that mobipocket would store the eNews files on a Storage card.

I figured this one out though. I'm quite proud of myself, since I'm new to this and quite leery of any changes to the registry. No problems though.

I really can't stand, when these programs try and use up main memory, without even offering an option, within the program, to choose where you want the files stored.

Mitchybums
01-05-2004, 07:01 PM
I dont have the stuff you are mentioning, but I am a bit proficient on the registry part.

Basicaly do a search in your registry for the location and then change it.
A lot of times, program settings are stored in curent-user,software,software/brandname or same location in local machine.

Sometimes the info is stored in a file in the folder of the program as well.

nosmohtac
01-06-2004, 03:25 AM
I'm starting to see what you are saying, but every setting in laridian has no string value, and the names are all set to (default). I'm not familiar enough yet to risk changing some of these string values to a storage card path, unless I know for sure that I won't lock up my device, and screw everything up.

Brad Adrian
01-06-2004, 03:50 AM
...every setting in laridian has no string value, and the names are all set to (default)...
It might not be possible to always make the kinds of changes you want. For some applications, the locations of the various files are separately delineated, in which case you might be able to change them. For other applications, only one default location might be set at installation, and all files are stored there.

Mitchybums
01-06-2004, 09:16 PM
if there is just one thing in there (default) then dont bother.
Basicaly by changing the registry with settings that are in the keys of the program, it can only messup your program. If you do it for a today plugin or something that is automaticaly launched at startup, it could possibly lockup your device, but as a font registry hacker, I have not run into problems like that yet.
Basicaly the worst that I had to do was reinstall a program once.
Also, it's always a good idea to export the registry key that you are going to modify to a file, so you can set it back when needed.

Jolard
01-06-2004, 11:57 PM
Here is a post I found while researching the idea of changing the temporary internet file storage settings. The registry hacks here allow you to change the amount of space allocated, as well as the location, even onto a removable card if wanted. Check it out:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15520&highlight=temperary+internet

keelinlee
01-07-2004, 06:17 PM
Oh, I almost forgot another one. I wanted to figure out how to change the registry settings so that mobipocket would store the eNews files on a Storage card.

I figured this one out though. I'm quite proud of myself, since I'm new to this and quite leery of any changes to the registry. No problems though.

I really can't stand, when these programs try and use up main memory, without even offering an option, within the program, to choose where you want the files stored.

answer here:

Can eNews be synchronized directly to a memory card ?
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Support/KBase_article.asp?ArticleID=21

nosmohtac
01-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Thanks.

I never noticed that. :oops: