View Full Version : BLUETOOTH & ACTIVESYNC.... NEED HELP

Barak
01-04-2004, 05:39 AM
I am able to use the bluetooth with my 4355 and my laptop.
However, when I sync with either my laptop or desktop, activesync is acting like it is recognizing the device for the first time.

I've checked settings, and have run out of ideas.

Any suggestions??

dhettel
01-04-2004, 10:05 AM
Lots of things could cause this problem. Have you run through the setup wizard and let it create a partnership?

One thing that can cause this is not having the same device name in Bluetooth Setting, as in Start (menu) | Settings | System | About | Device ID |

David

Barak
01-04-2004, 04:12 PM
David:

hmmm. I think my laptop shows my ipaq as pocketpc, when it is in my device as dansipaq. I'll try and change this and see what happens.

Thanks,

Dan

dbalaban
01-05-2004, 09:40 PM
I didn't realize you could synch through bluetooth. This would be good b/c it makes synching on the road much easier. Is it easy to set up?

Macguy59
01-14-2004, 04:29 AM
I didn't realize you could synch through bluetooth. This would be good b/c it makes synching on the road much easier. Is it easy to set up?

So long as your devices can 'discover' one another, it's not too bad to setup. The only thing I have not been able to do via BT is surf/check email, etc. I have a NIC in the desktop, but it's connected to a wireless router and the BT dongle refuses to work with it :evil:

ctmagnus
01-14-2004, 05:06 AM
So long as your devices can 'discover' one another, it's not too bad to setup. The only thing I have not been able to do via BT is surf/check email, etc. I have a NIC in the desktop, but it's connected to a wireless router and the BT dongle refuses to work with it :evil:

What OS are you using? BT adapter?

I have a Belkin F8T001 BT adapter that, when connected to a Win2000 machine, let my sync only. I stuck it in a WinXP machine and now I can do the whole nine yards.

Macguy59
01-14-2004, 02:19 PM

What OS are you using? BT adapter?

I have a Belkin F8T001 BT adapter that, when connected to a Win2000 machine, let my sync only. I stuck it in a WinXP machine and now I can do the whole nine yards.

I'm using XP and a D-Link BT dongle. I thought I read somewhere that this dongle requires a certain IP that is being used by my NIC or router. Would be nice if it worked but not essential. Activesync works well with it.

D.psi
01-14-2004, 09:01 PM
The sync/surf topic was covered in depth in the following thread:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14388&highlight=

I have to admit that I needed some time to sort it all out. My initial problem was not setting the Ipaq to be discoverable by the world (i.e. only allowed paired devices), which obviously did not allow the original pairing connection to be set up. The of course I screwed up the IP on my router. The bulk of the issues had to do with the contention of the IP address of the router, and the shared bluetooth IP connection on the PC (there quite commonly is a conflict, that can be resolved by changing the ROUTER's IP address, the shared bluetooth connection IP is hard coded).

Again look at the above thread, that's how I got mine to surf/sync.

D.psi

Macguy59
01-14-2004, 10:02 PM
The sync/surf topic was covered in depth in the following thread:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14388&highlight=

I have to admit that I needed some time to sort it all out. My initial problem was not setting the Ipaq to be discoverable by the world (i.e. only allowed paired devices), which obviously did not allow the original pairing connection to be set up. The of course I screwed up the IP on my router. The bulk of the issues had to do with the contention of the IP address of the router, and the shared bluetooth IP connection on the PC (there quite commonly is a conflict, that can be resolved by changing the ROUTER's IP address, the shared bluetooth connection IP is hard coded).

Again look at the above thread, that's how I got mine to surf/sync.

D.psi

Thanks for the heads up :) I am finally able to web browse and check email via the BT Lan connection now. In my case I had to do 2 things. Change the IP of my wireless router and change the settings of the BT network profile on the pc (for some reason I had it set for VPN). I'm sure my eyes are playing tricks on me but it sure seems like pages are loading quite a bit faster on my 1945 via BT then they were on the 2215 using Wi-Fi. Ain't complaining though :)

ctmagnus
01-14-2004, 11:56 PM
I can't remember the exact details, but I believe I just followed the installation instructions for the BT adapter and then bonded the two network connetions (LAN + BT) under XP. This permitted me to surf happily, using a 10.x.x.x subnet. :)

Macguy59
01-15-2004, 12:27 AM
I can't remember the exact details, but I believe I just followed the installation instructions for the BT adapter and then bonded the two network connetions (LAN + BT) under XP. This permitted me to surf happily, using a 10.x.x.x subnet. :)

It really is dependent on which BT adapter is used and your particular home setup. In my case changing the IP of my wireless router was neccesary.