View Full Version : Something really, really freaked me out...

sublime
01-02-2004, 10:09 AM
So I'm sitting on my chaise, reading "Atonement," when I decide that I want to listen to track 2 on "The Hours" soundtrack. I play it on the speaker, put down the iPAQ on the table next to my chaise and look around the room for something to clean. As soon as I remember that I have already cleaned everything, I reach for my iPAQ to turn off the music and get back to reading...

So when I pick up my iPAQ, it slips out of my hands, and falls on the rock (yes, a rock) next to my chaise. The music stops upon contact, and I fear that I seriously messed up my iPAQ. I pull out the stylus, start dabbling with it, and this is what I find...

Everything is ok, except for something very weird. My TodayPlus plugin no longer works. The files were not lost, so that's not the problem. It just doesn't appear on the today screen. I click on Settings, Today, Items, and find it checked, but when I close the settings and get back to the screen, I find the plugin still missing. I soft reset, and it's still missing.

Any ideas what the hell is causing this to not work.

David Prahl
01-02-2004, 03:13 PM
Very strange! Have you tried re-installing it?

lonesniper
01-02-2004, 03:37 PM
So I'm sitting on my chaise,

Errrh???? :confused totally: Like...errhhh...what's a chaise??

weezie
01-02-2004, 04:03 PM
lonesniper wrote

sublime wrote:
So I'm sitting on my chaise,

Errrh???? Like...errhhh...what's a chaise??

"Chaise" is chair in French. :wink:

pocketpcfox
01-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Sublime: did you happen to imbibe a bottle or two of vin (wine) when you dropped your Ipaq on a roche (rock)? I swear the first couple of paragraphs of your post implied as such. :D

Kati Compton
01-02-2004, 05:19 PM
"Chaise" is chair in French. :wink:
In American English, at least, it *tends* to mean a couch, possibly without a back, and with only one "arm". In garden/patio furniture it is commonly used to refer to "chairs" with built-in footrests - kinda like permanently reclined recliners.

Jon Westfall
01-02-2004, 08:17 PM
Why was a rock anywhere near your precious pocket pc? Rocks must move atleast 10 feet from my device at all times.

Anyway, this is truly strange behavior. Only thing I could figure is that the PPC was doing something in the background relating to the software when it went airborne, and it corrupted a configuration file somewhere.

Now go rid your living space of rocks...

Jon.

sublime
01-02-2004, 08:38 PM
1) As for the chaise, Katie got it right
2) As for the rocks, they give my room a natural look
3) As for the wine, I don't drink wine.
4) As for the corrupted configuration file, is it possible to uncorrupt the configuration file? Is there anything I can do?

Linux_Zen
01-03-2004, 02:14 AM
Maybe you've already tried this ... but anyway.

First, try aa soft reset. If it doesn't work then, delete the files, soft reset, reinstall the files, soft reset, make any settings-adjustments, soft reset, and then see if it works! My advise, while clumsy and blunt ... maybe will work.

tanalasta
01-03-2004, 07:58 AM
Wierd... sudden shocks tend to do wierd things to your device. Mine soft-reseted it itself after a one metre fall on hard tiling. However, other than the spontaneous soft-reset, everything else seemed intact.

If you're really worried then it might be a good idea to hard-reset your device and run the restore file from before you dropped your device...

dMores
01-03-2004, 02:02 PM
In American English, at least, it *tends* to mean a couch, possibly without a back, and with only one "arm". that's what europeans call a "chaise longue" (long chair), which, when pronounced in german, really does sound funny.

ironguy
01-03-2004, 06:21 PM
I sing in my church choir. Our choir leader sends out music as MP3s (or CDs) for us to listen to and practice. I copy mine to my 2215 and listen to it in the car through my stereo. A couple of weeks ago I was late, ran into church and forgot about my 2215 (which I left playing the music). About half hour later I remembered, ran out to the car, and grabbed the 2215 which was still on. I tried to multi-task - get out of the car and turn off the 2215 at the same time. It hit the top of the car door and flipped over the door and bonked on the ground. I picked it up and turned it on, at least tried to. Nothing happened. You ever get that feeling in the pit of your stomach - the 'dread' one? So I took out the stylus and hit the soft reset button. The unit came on! Yay! But wait - it performed a hard reset!

To make a long story longer - dropping your PPC can cause many strange things to happen. In my case I had to reload (gotta keep those backups current). You may have to do a hard reset to get everything back in order. I think my Vaja case was what saved the life of my 2215. All it got was a little scuff on a corner (which is the worst place it can get hit).

Kati Compton
01-03-2004, 06:41 PM
In American English, at least, it *tends* to mean a couch, possibly without a back, and with only one "arm". that's what europeans call a "chaise longue" (long chair), which, when pronounced in german, really does sound funny.
Right - here it can be called a "chaise lounge". We moved the 'u'. ;) Still makes sense, really... You are supposed to lounge around on it....

Dave Beauvais
01-04-2004, 06:44 AM
It's possible that some data was knocked lose by the impact with the rock and fell out onto the floor. You may want to look closely at the area around the rock and the chaise to see if you can find the missing data somewhere so it can be put back where it belongs.

Kati Compton
01-04-2004, 07:39 AM
It's possible that some data was knocked lose by the impact with the rock and fell out onto the floor. You may want to look closely at the area around the rock and the chaise to see if you can find the missing data somewhere so it can be put back where it belongs.
Yeah - the 0's are usually easy to find, but those 1's can get rammed into the carpet and they're hard to pry out.

Iznot Gold
01-04-2004, 10:19 AM
Dear Kati & Dave - lol

I'm sure Miele will soon make a vacuum cleaner with a 'Data Filter' (some what a kin to the Miele - Cat & Dog for animal hair collection). Until the 'Miele - Data Capture' vacuum cleaner is available, you'll just have to resort to a hand lens and tweesers.

Regards
David

Thinkingmandavid
01-04-2004, 02:52 PM
That would be as difficult as looking for your contact that fell in the carpet.
Maybe you should try the newest 'o' and '1' sniffer by intel :mrgreen:

kleb
01-09-2004, 10:19 PM
This kind of reminds me of a radio shack space game I had. It was an older one, but not quite as old as the pseudo-color ones.

One of the buttons didn't work. One that was crucial to powering up your ship, I think, so you could survive in higher levels. I found that if I whacked the side or jarred it hard enough, it would sometimes put me on a higher level with a completely powered up ship. Usually it would do something weird, though.

Just my two cents.

felixdd
01-10-2004, 06:16 AM
Sounds like what happened was that the power was severed upon impact (the battery terminal jarred loose perhaps) while the app was doing something. That could've caused the disappearing app.

Try reinstalling it.