View Full Version : Windows CE Was Better Than Pocket PC!

imprator
01-01-2004, 02:56 PM
Windows CE better than Pocket PC?

It may be heretical to some, but having just made the switch from a CE device to a Pocket PC machine, I am disappointed to find some features missing or reduced.

Specific features which I particularly miss are;

1/ Cannot display date in the taskbar.

2/ Clock - Cannot add locations to database, missing information for locations (airports, telephone codes, sunrise/sunset times, distances from Home location).

3/ Calendar - Alarms don't repeat, can't select different alarm sounds for individual reminders.

Of course, I might have missed some settings somewhere. If so, I would be grateful if anyone could enlighten me. Failing that, are there any programs available that would add the missing functions? (Of course, I could go back to using my old Casio E-105...)

Thanks for any help, and happy new year!

Kicks
01-01-2004, 05:15 PM
spb's pocket plus will give you repeating alarm functionality and it also makes the close button actually work. You can change the alarm sound globally but not for individual events though.

Here's a url for it
http://www.spbsoft.com/products/pocketplus/index.html

Hope this helps

dlangton
01-01-2004, 11:11 PM
CityTime from Code City ( http://www.codecity.net/prodctppc.html ), along with software from other sources, provides a means to add to the builtin location database.

dlangton
01-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Puttting the date in the titlebar just requires a registry hack. See http://www.phm.lu/PocketPC/RegTweaks/Tweak.asp?ref=52

Ripper014
01-01-2004, 11:49 PM
I think you are all missing his/her point. These were all things that were working in WindowsCE, working and reliable. I to am starting to miss the dependablity of my old Casio E-125.

We should not have to purchase secondary programs to fix what is advertised on the box.

I have not been using my reminders because they have not been firing... and then there is the problem of it only ringing once. Well I put a few in yesterday... and not only are they misfiring (at the wrong times) but I can't even determine what the alarm was for.

By the way I do have all the patches that I am aware of for these fixes and it is still not working correctly...

Oh, I have a HP2210...

imprator
01-02-2004, 03:12 PM
I share Ripper014's sentiments; it is disappointing to upgrade only to find fewer features and customisation options.

Still, we are where we are. Thank you to those who have offered suggestions to restore the features that I miss; I will be investigating them all.

If anyone has any other suggestions, they will be most welcome.

Janak Parekh
01-02-2004, 08:51 PM
I think you are all missing his/her point. These were all things that were working in WindowsCE, working and reliable. I to am starting to miss the dependablity of my old Casio E-125.
Wait a second, the E-125 didn't have a plane-jane Windows CE, it had Pocket PC 2000. Pocket PC 2003 has all the same features, and much more. The "classic" Windows CE UI, used in HPCs, PSPCs, and CE .NET machines today (which is what imprator refers to) is quite a different beast. Pocket PC was specifically designed to "simplify" the handheld experience from a full WinCE environment. Some things were taken out, and some things were added. This is not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison. You may disagree with what MS did, but it's not strictly an "upgrade". Nevertheless, imprator, I hope you find that the added flexibility in available software more than makes up for what you lost.

We should not have to purchase secondary programs to fix what is advertised on the box.
Please show me where this functionality is "advertised" on the box (apart from the reminder problems, which may very well be a bug and for which I don't debate the issues -- but that isn't what imprator's query is about).

--janak

Ripper014
01-03-2004, 01:09 AM
Point taken that the E-125 was a Pocket 2000 unit but I can make the same points about my E-100.

And as far as what you term a "bug" this is a pretty significant issue, one that I find hard to believe went un-noticed before the release to the public. I have to feel that this is one where the manufacturers... decided to release it and fix it later... or let some third party come up with the fix.

I agree there are some things that have improved with the new operatind system but at what cost. I reboot my HP2210 more than I have ever had to with my E-125 or E-100. My basic alarms do not work... totally useless... there is the problem of files eating up memory... and I am sure there are other issues. You would think that after 3+ tries they should be close to getting it right. Yet every incarnation seems to have more issues than the previous.

I can not speak for others... but having all the bells and whistles is not doing me any good if it doesn't work.... I would sooner take a simpler package that was rock solid.

Ladies turn away... you can only spend some much time with a cute mentally challenged bimbo before you lose interest. I need a woman of substance.

Janak Parekh
01-03-2004, 01:18 AM
And as far as what you term a "bug" this is a pretty significant issue, one that I find hard to believe went un-noticed before the release to the public. I have to feel that this is one where the manufacturers... decided to release it and fix it later... or let some third party come up with the fix.
If you're talking about the unreliability of alarms... sure, but that's for another thread that's already a big topic of discussion.

I reboot my HP2210 more than I have ever had to with my E-125 or E-100.
There's more variables than just the OS at play, though. Do you use the same apps as you did on the E-125, or more apps, for example?

--janak