View Full Version : Checkbook-on-the-Go for Pocket Excel

Jason Dunn
01-01-2004, 02:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.easycheckbook.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.easycheckbook.com/</a><br /><br /></div>"Checkbook-on-the-Go™ for Pocket PC synchs automatically with your Pocket PC, giving it the full functions of Checkbook-on-the-Screen™, taking advantage of the power of Microsoft Pocket Excel® that comes with most pocket pc computers. You can use the electronic checkbook ledger in a single view without scrolling. Synch with any desktop computer to backup. If you have Excel® on your desktop/laptop as well, you can use Checkbook-on-the-Go™ there, keeping both synched. To see what it can do, try our free download and load it onto your Pocket PC."<br /><br />If you're looking for a very basic financial management tool, this Pocket Excel template might do the trick, and it's cheap to boot ($4.95).

jt3
01-01-2004, 05:16 AM
Just today, I was looking for a good checkbook register program for my PocketPC, and ran across this. I hated it. I had it uninstalled in two minutes.

Unfortunately, I pretty much came to the conclusion that there wasn't a really good one out there, and had pretty much given up all hope.

Then, while I was checking for upgrades for my other installed software, I ran across "Keep Track" from Illium Software. Just my humble opinion, of course, but I found Keep Track to be MUCH better, and with the discount for PPCT subscribers, it only ended up being $17.95 for both the PPC *AND* Desktop versions! ($7.95 for just the PPC version, which would be only $3.00 more than the PPC-only Checkbook-on-the-Go).

Opinions vary, of course, so you may end up liking Checkbook-on-the-Go better, but do yourself a favor and check out both if you're in the market for this kind of software.

Oh... just realized, I forgot the link. Wouldn't be prudent to mention another software title for you to check, then forget the link now, would it? Here ya go... http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/im/keeptrack.htm

zoneman
01-01-2004, 06:11 PM
I tried it, too and I like it. You didn't say why you hated it but I'm guessing it might be the small type fonts. I find it cool that it all fits on a screen and it is usable. Sure, its a simple application but it works fine and for $5, why not? :wink:

jt3
01-02-2004, 04:45 PM
Well, the MAIN reason I didn't like it was because it was so hard to get into, mainly because I have ClearVue Suite, which changes the pointer so that Excel documents open in ClearVue (which is read only), rather than in Pocket Excel. Thus, I have to open Pocket Excel, tell it to open a file, and browse to this one. I understand that for the vast majority of people out there, opening this app is as simple as tapping on it, but not for ClearVue users, so any Pocket Excel based app will take a hit from me for that reason.

I also didn't like that you have to manually set the view zoom to 50%. At least for me, I had to do this every time. Perhaps you found a way to make this zoom setting permanent, but I couldn't seem to get it to stick.

Another complaint lies with the fact that in a checkbook register, where the vast majority of items will be withdrawals, I hate having to remember to hit that damn MINUS everytime I enter an amount. I want an application that's smart enough to know that this is a withdrawal, and put the minus in there for me. This one doesn't do that, while Keep Track does.

There were others, but my intention isn't to slam this program, just state some examples.

Don't get me wrong. I didn't like COTG, but I realize that most of my complaints are nitpicky, and very personal. It looks like a great program (although anyone with a decent amount of Excel skills should be able to duplicate it themself and save the five bucks), but just not for me. I'm glad that you liked it. It's hard to find a good checkbook register for the Pocket PC, especially if you have special requirements that may not be in public software. I was simply stating an alternative.

socrates63
09-03-2004, 09:13 AM
If you're looking for a very basic financial management tool, this Pocket Excel template might do the trick, and it's cheap to boot ($4.95).
I just searched the Software forum for "checkbook" and out came this thread.

I downloaded the demo file and this looked to be just what I wanted: an electronic version of my paper checkbook register. And you can't fault the price of $5.

I love all the glitz of Spb Finance and the other program financial apps out there, but after trying MS Money on the desktop for a while, I learned that I don't need or want all the extra functionality they offer.

This "app" might just become a mainstay for me, and I thought it deserved a bump in the forum.