View Full Version : Problem with VNC

Atooraya
12-31-2003, 03:47 AM
I put in the host name for my computer and i click OK, but there's no password box that opens up for some reason :confused:

It's not behind any windows or anything, it seems like that my ipaq 1945 just closes the program down

Atooraya
12-31-2003, 03:51 AM
also, on a sidenote, i'm trying to do this thru bluetooth

Mitchybums
12-31-2003, 04:21 AM
simple one.
The vnc viewer has a little bug that it doesnt put the password box in front.
if you use something like wisbar, click on the list applications button, and there should be an authentification in there.
thats your password box.

also make sure in the hostname box it also has the screen number in there.
if you didnt configure it on the host, use "hostname:0"

or the ip adress with :0 behind it.
bluetooth or something else doesnt matter. even active sync works.

Atooraya
12-31-2003, 05:15 AM
it doesn't work, it looks like some box that comes up for a second that says "connection failed" and then it's gone

Mitchybums
01-06-2004, 09:08 PM
That means it cannot find the computer that has vnc installed on it, or that the vnc server is not running on that machine.
try mapping a shared drive on that machine to your ppc to see if it can communicate.
If you''r using bluetooth, just share a new folder on your desktop computer and put a textfile it it or something, it tends to get realy slow if there is a bunch of stuff in the folder.
U can use resco file explororer to see if you can map the drive, or even if it recognizes your computer on the network.
Also, the network name of the computer has to be NETBIOS compliant.
this means, no spaces in the name and no more then 15 characters.

for me to connect to a pc with vnc, I install vnc full on the desktop computer, then during installation, register as system service, start service both checked. Then it asks me to put in a password for the connection.
On your ppc, you need to make a connection to the network, (like dialing into the machine with the bluetooth adapter attached to it, and then start vnc, connect to "compname:0"
and it should work.
if the computer you establish the bluetooth connection with is NOT the one you use to connect to vnc with, then you need to set up connection sharing or add a route from the bluetooth connection to the other computer.
(complicated)
if you are using a bt accesspoint, you will already have that stuff setup, so it should work.

goodluck